Thread: Integrating and Edge MTA with Zimbra

Default Integrating an Edge MTA with Zimbra

I have an Edge MTA (Postfix) that I use to help reduce spam before it gets to my Zimbra server. Right now, it accepts all mail for my domain. However, if mail is sent to a nonexistent user on my domain, it still passes it through (as it should).

I'd like some thoughts on how to pass only messages to valid email recipients. I believe I can use the relay_recipient_maps parameter and create a list of actual users, but that requires manually updating them whenever I make any changes.

However, if I end up going this route, how should I harvest the email addresses so that I get a valid list which includes email addresses, normal aliases, domain aliases (user@mydomainname.com, user@myotherdomainname.com)?

What would be nice is to do lookups on Zimbra's LDAP for valid recipients (including regular aliases and domain aliases). Does anyone have any advice to offer in accomplishing this?
    Last edited by bhickey; 07-13-2007 at 09:35 AM.

You can enable SMTP lookup (your postfix querying Zimbra's postfix) simply by enabling the capability in Zimbra's postfix (disabled by default).

You need to change one line in : /opt/zimbra/conf/zmmta.cf

The line is
    Code:
    POSTCONF smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient no
    and should become
    Code:
    POSTCONF smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient yes

If I do that, will Zimbra send an NDR to my relay host? If so, can I suppress it?

I'm using this with a MailCleaner cluster.

AFAIK, it's just a SMTP question (from the edge MTA to Zimbra's postfix) and Zimbra's postfix simply answers with a "550 Recipient address rejected" if the recipient does not exist.

Default Edge MTA with zimbra

Quote Originally Posted by bhickey View Post
    What would be nice is to do lookups on Zimbra's LDAP for valid recipients (including regular aliases and domain aliases). Does anyone have any advice to offer in accomplishing this?

That is exactly what I did with my mail gateway postfix server that runs mailscanner. I basically copied the ldap configuration files from the zimbra box to the gateway box, opened the relevant firewall ports 25, 389) from the DMZ to the LAN and it worked ;

This is part of the postfix main.cf;

# Talk to zimbra ldap for valid users
    sender_canonical_maps = ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap-scm.cf
    virtual_alias_domains = ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap-vad.cf
    virtual_mailbox_domains = ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap-vmd.cf
    virtual_alias_maps = ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap-vam.cf
    #transport_maps = ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap-transport.cf
    transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport
    virtual_mailbox_maps = ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap-vmm.cf

As i said, I copied the ldap-*.cf files from the zimbra box /opt/zimbra/conf to /etc/postfix/ on the mail gateway.... with the exception of the transport file which I decided to use as hash instead, cant remember why. I have three domains being served by my zimbra server so I listed all of those in the transport map on the gateway so it knew where to send mail for those domains. Because my gateway box is also the MX record for both public and private DNS I had to tell it where to send the mail to via the transport map.

I also set the 'relay MTA for external delivery' to be the name of the mail gateway. This can be found in AdminConsole:Global Settings:MTA so that the zimbra box could relay outbound mail via the gateway, hence it would use spam and virus filtering running the gateway.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by phoenix; 08-08-2007 at 07:06 AM.

Default Does this work for anybody?

It looks awesome, but I have a feeling there is more configuration needed to make this work.