Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ability to designate an IP Address

Default Ability to designate an IP Address

Hello all,

I am curious if there is or will be a way to designate an ip address that all of the zimbra services will bind to. Currently you bind to 0.0.0.0 for most of the external services and 127.0.0.1 for the internal ones.

Is it possible to have the various components (in particular apache) bind to a specific port that can be configured during installation time or even adjusted during maintenance (requiring a restart no less). I know it is possible to do this manually but I an not one hacking around in configs as it tends to make upgrades and patching a pain.

This would be helpful mainly for those of us not installing on multiple servers or those who need to use there servers for multiple functions.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Isi

Do you need this for Apache(currently hosts our spell checker) or Tomcat which is what binds to port 80?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

I mainly need this to allow me to bind other services on the same server to allocated ports. If I could designate the IP Address that all of the zimbra services bind to then I could run multiple instances of <insert app here>. In my particular instance I want to setup, on a different ip address, on the same physical server, apache, tomcat and jboss with the intent of using the standard ports for each.

I know that it is pretty trivial, via the config files for catalina and apache, to do this but i was more interested in it being an install option.

Did that answer you question to my question?

-- Isi

I am also be very interested in binding to another IP address. That would leave my internet machine intact (with apache on 80 and 443, sendmail on 25), and run Zimbra on the same machine, but another ip address.

In my current config, mail is forwarded to the zimbra mailserver in a vmware machine - mainly because of the port conflicts. I use the apache mod_proxy to proxy a virtual host to the vmware zimbra tomcat server.

Mail will eventually be handled by postfix/clamav/spamassassin, but until it goes into 'production' over here, MailScanner will be my main MTA/scanner.

zimbra in vmware is as far as I am concerned a temporary solution.

Sietse

Thanks for the info. I'll add an RFE and we'll try to get this in a future release.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

I was wondering, was this ever implemented? I also would like to have the ability to make zimbra bind everything to a given IP address. I have a host that is already running some services on one IP. I went to install zimbra on another IP on that box and found it tried to bind on all interfaces on a box. Showstopper!

Robert

Here's the bug for LDAP... Vote on it if you think it's important.

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5410

If you think other services need this ability feel free to file additional RFE's.

This is just general 'good behavior' of any software package. Don't get me wrong, I think the work you guys have done on Zimbra is awesome, I just think there are some things being overlooked that are just expected by many people who are used to running servers.

The current behavior of Zimbra is very intrusive by not allowing the administrator to specify which IP address to bind to. Even if this is limited to a single IP for now (i.e. not allow multiple IPs to be listened on) and designated at install time, that would be very acceptable.

Robert

Arrow Any Update on this Topic?

Is there any update to this problem because I have this same problem where I have multiple ethernet interfaces but I need to restrict Zimbra to just one IP address so that I can run apache webserver on another IP (on port 80). My apache install works fine if I start it up but then Zimbra won't load the Tomcat server because it wants ALL interfaces on port 80. How do I control what Tomcat takes over?

add a line like this to the web Connector in /opt/zimbra/tomcat/conf/server.xml.in and then restart tomcat:

address="10.10.10.100"