Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archiving Mail

Default Archiving Mail

Zimbra is supposed to have support for archiving mail, correct? I've reviewed the admin guide and could not find any mention of how this is done. Is there any documentation available that describes this feature? Is this feature available yet?

This is in the network version. Check out the guide here:

http://www.zimbra.com/pdf/Zimbra%20N...in%20Guide.pdf

Feature is HSM.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Y'know, I read that and it didn't click that that was the archiving feature.

Where in Zimbra does one configure the secondary storage that emails are archived to?

Admin UI. There is an HSM tab assuming you've got the Network edition.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Perhaps I should restate :

I do have the Network Edition and I can access the HSM tab in the Global Settings window. My only configuration option is to set a message age threshold. What I'm curious to know, is how do I configure which volume archived messages are moved to? How can I verify that messages have been archived?

On each server there is a Volumes tab. You set up your volumes there. Best way to verify is to check the archive dir after the age has past.

I have another question that's related to Archiving.

Once these messages are moved to the archive store via HSM, what if the user tries to delete them? Are they denied, or is there anyway to prevent them from deleting messages? (I'm asking because a Banking institution was asking about this feature due to laws and regulations requiring mail to be kept indefinitely...) Also, I assume that once the message has been 'archived', it no longer counts towards quota?

Quote Originally Posted by yetdog
    I have another question that's related to Archiving.

Once these messages are moved to the archive store via HSM, what if the user tries to delete them? Are they denied, or is there anyway to prevent them from deleting messages? (I'm asking because a Banking institution was asking about this feature due to laws and regulations requiring mail to be kept indefinitely...) Also, I assume that once the message has been 'archived', it no longer counts towards quota?

HSM != Archiving (for that def).

HSM just moves the message data to different disks. So older mail can live on cheaper disks. It still counts against quota and can be moved/deleted like the rest of the mail by users.

We are working on archiving which will handle the use case you propose. It will be included in a future release.

Does the archive directory will be automatically created or have to be defined at the volumes tab.

If have to be defined.. what is the definition?

Thanx!

For HSM in the Network version you need to create it. Archiving will be defined once we build it