Thread: Mess-up in split-domain setup

Default Mess-up in split-domain setup

Hello all,

First, the query...
    How do I set Zimbra up that _all_ outgoing emails from Zimbra goes to another server, regardless of whether there is a valid address on the Zimbra server?

Reason...
    I have a split domain setup, and was using it on a small scale before rolling Zimbra out company-wide. Now, today, I was setting up the rest of the email accounts ready to roll out the following weekend, when I realised that emails from the users already on the Zimbra box were going to the newly-created accounts of the not-yet-transferred but valid accounts. This is because Zimbra was accepting these emails thinking "Oh, this is for that user", even though the user in question is still on the old server.

So, basically...
    1) How do I fix this?
    2) How can I re-filter all these emails? (Not a big deal if it's a bit complicated - can always tell these users to walk to the other person & give them the email! :P)

TIA!

If you are using the Zimbra web client I believe you want to go to the Admin page and then to the MTA tab for your server and change the "Web mail MTA hostname" to point to your other email server.

Not sure of a way to re-filter the messages that got messed up. May just be easier to let the users login to Zimbra and see what they've missed.

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    If you are using the Zimbra web client I believe you want to go to the Admin page and then to the MTA tab for your server and change the "Web mail MTA hostname" to point to your other email server.
    Hmmm... Problem is the majority of the users on the zimbra server are using SMTP.

Hmmm... Problem is the majority of the users on the zimbra server are using SMTP.
    Not sure what you mean. If you mean the majority of your users are using another email client, like Outlook or Thunderbird, you should just be able to change the outgoing SMTP server in the program to point toward your other email server. I'm assuming you have gone through the steps described in Split Domain wiki page for setting up the Zimbra server as the secondary system.

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    Not sure what you mean. If you mean the majority of your users are using another email client, like Outlook or Thunderbird, you should just be able to change the outgoing SMTP server in the program to point toward your other email server. I'm assuming you have gone through the steps described in Split Domain wiki page for setting up the Zimbra server as the secondary system.
    ..... D'oh. Of course.

*Emails everyone ASAP to tell them to put their SMTP settings back*

Thanks.