Thread: Offsite Aliases, Multi-Recipient Aliases

Hybrid View

Default Offsite Aliases, Multi-Recipient Aliases

We've got a number of aliases in our (old) mail system that we're migrating away from, where you might have

USER@mydomain.com ---> USER@department.mydomain.com

Because "Department" has decided to run their own mail system completely independent of us. It also happens when we have things like:

LISTNAME@mydomain.com ---> LISTNAME@mailman.mydomain.com

Where can I set up "system" aliases.... aliases that don't belong to specific users, but which are forwarded along to the proper "offsite" address?

Also, we've got some where it's

assistants@mydomain.com --> a@mydomain.com, b@mydomain.com

It's not really used as a "distribution list", but more in terms of "so either a or b can act on it depending on who is less busy". Not looking for the overhead of a "distribution list", but is there any way to do multiple recipients per alias?

Thanks much!

Cheers,
    Derek

We've got a number of aliases in our (old) mail system that we're migrating away from, where you might have

USER@mydomain.com ---> USER@department.mydomain.com

Because "Department" has decided to run their own mail system completely independent of us.
    Setup the account on your Zimbra server. As you step through the screens you can enter a forwarding address; then a few screens later there is a check-box where you can disable local delivery. With these two settings the account basically acts as a pass-through to the other account on another server.
    It also happens when we have things like:

LISTNAME@mydomain.com ---> LISTNAME@mailman.mydomain.com

Where can I set up "system" aliases.... aliases that don't belong to specific users, but which are forwarded along to the proper "offsite" address?
    Not sure on this one, but I think you should be able to do the same thing.
    Also, we've got some where it's

assistants@mydomain.com --> a@mydomain.com, b@mydomain.com

It's not really used as a "distribution list", but more in terms of "so either a or b can act on it depending on who is less busy". Not looking for the overhead of a "distribution list", but is there any way to do multiple recipients per alias?
    What's the "overhead" of a distribution list? Using a distribution list is exactly how I would handle this situation. There is also some information on the forums/Wiki about using an actual aliases system file to do this type of thing, but I have not tried it myself.

If you want the Zimbra server to relay all mail destined for a particular domain (department.mydomain.com) to another mta (say, mtafordepartment.mydomain.com), you can forward the domain.
    ie: When you start getting mail USER@department.mydomain.com to your sever.

This is the opposite path of your: "USER@mydomain.com ---> USER@department.mydomain.com Because 'Department' has decided to run their own mail system completely independent of us."

zmprov md example.com zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @department.mydomain
    zmprov md example.com zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress @department.mydomain
    zmprov md department.mydomain.com zimbraMailTransport smtp:mtafordepartment.mydomain.com
    Last edited by mmorse; 07-30-2007 at 05:50 AM.

Re: overhead of a distribution list

Maybe I need to re-evaluate Zimbra distribution lists, I would have thought they'd be more "mailing list" style, with mailing-list manager type functionality. If I'm wrong, my foul.

Re: accounts/forwarding

But then I'm "dinged" for "accounts" against my license-count when all I'm doing is forwarding the e-mail elsewhere. If I've got a couple hundred mailing lists (and we're a diverse campus, we do), it seems ridiculous to have those all count against my "user" licenses because the only way to make them work is to create dummy accounts.
    Last edited by dballing; 07-30-2007 at 06:13 AM.

Re: catch all domain forwarding
    The reverse: Already covered this-see domain catch all forwarding address

Maybe I need to re-evaluate Zimbra distribution lists, I would have thought they'd be more "mailing list" style, with mailing-list manager type functionality. If I'm wrong, my foul.
    Currently user's can't self subscribe etc, there a dozens of RFE's open about this-it'll get there don't worry
    amitbapt made some headway on mailman: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...man-howto.html

Re: accounts/forwarding
    But then I'm "dinged" for "accounts" against my license-count when all I'm doing is forwarding the e-mail elsewhere. If I've got a couple hundred mailing lists (and we're a diverse campus, we do), it seems ridiculous to have those all count against my "user" licenses because the only way to make them work is to create dummy accounts.
    Likewise, I might have a campus-wide mailing list, "all@mydomain.com", but in reality, that needs to be handed off seamlessly to our campus mailing-list manager server, so it needs to be aliased to "all@mailman.mydomain.com".
    Sound's like you just want to edit postfix...
    Last edited by mmorse; 07-30-2007 at 07:12 AM.

Already covered this-see domain catch all forwarding address
    No, unless I'm radically misinterpreting you.

I want to have these two users:

jsmith@mydomain.com (normal user)
    jdoe@mydomain.com --- alias for ---> jdoe@compsci.mydomain.com

I can't do any "domain-wide forwarding" there. I need to do address-specific forwarding to an offsite location.

Sound's like you just want to edit postfix...
    Not for nothin, but "not having to manually edit a bunch of config files" is kind of why we selected Zimbra in the first place.