Thread: Set Zimbra to Automatically Download from POP3 Accounts

Default Set Zimbra to Automatically Download from POP3 Accounts

Dear Friends,

A sincere thank you from our monastery in Escondido, CA. Our ageing webserver has been managing for months despite a corrupt Windows XP system running underneath it. Now with Zimbra we have been able to switch everything over to a much more stable Ubuntu 6.06 system with a beautiful web interface. Thank you.

So far we are very happy with Zimbra as a mail server, but there is one thing that I am unable to do. Our old webserver (Merak) was set up to download from the POP3 accounts which receive most of our mail every 15 minutes or so. Although we can log in to each account and press "Get Mail" to download the messages, our online storage in these accounts is quite small and it gets overloaded quickly unless we have this automatic download.

I have tried installing webmin in order to schedule fetchmail to run every ten minutes or so, but it tells me there is no fetchmailrc file or users using fetchmail, even though I have created POP download accounts on most of our Zimbra accounts. Is some other program fetching the mail from the POP3 accounts?

I have checked the box which should have Zimbra check for mail every 5 minutes, but apparently this does not include checking the POP3 accounts.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have searched and googled this to no avail.

Best,
    Doug Bachman
    Deer Park Monastery
    solidityrsdnt@plumvill.net

If you can hold out till v5/in 5.0beta3:
    zimbraDataSourcePollingInterval
    Bug 14527 - Periodic POP and IMAP aggregation and frequency and limit controls for same

Quote Originally Posted by dbachman View Post
    I have tried installing webmin in order to schedule fetchmail to run every ten minutes or so, but it tells me there is no fetchmailrc file or users using fetchmail, even though I have created POP download accounts on most of our Zimbra accounts.
    Fetchmail requires a local user for the rights under which to run its process. That user has to have a .fetchmailrc file in their home directory, which is where the configuration settings get saved. This user doesn't have to have anything at all to do with your Zimbra mail address to which the fetched mail will be sent.

Using the user "zimbra" will appear to work when you're setting up the fetchmail process, but apparently the rights are such that you can't write the mail to that directory. Using any other local Linux user does the trick.

Pheonix uses webmin/fetchmail-he may be able to help you troubleshoot.
    Last edited by mmorse; 08-29-2007 at 09:18 AM.