I've been doing some testing on the Zimbra 5.0 Beta 3 release. One of the new features that caught my eye was the following (from the release notes):
13435 - Users can configure when mail in their mailbox system folders-
Inbox, Sent, Junk, and Trash, should be deleted. This is done in their
Preferences, Mail tab (previously called Options tab).
I've played around with this a bit, and while I like the idea, there are a few things about the current implementation at least that I didn't like:
1) There doesn't appear to be any way to take this option away from a user. I think in certain cases or environments this would be something that you wouldn't want the user to have control over.
2) The UI for these settings only allow pre-determined days to be picked via radio buttons. For example, Inbox (Unread), Inbox (Read), and Sent only allow for 30, 45, 60, 90, 120 days or never; and the possible settings for Junk and Trash are 1, 3, 7, and 30 days. Why limit it to just these settings? Why not allow the user to simply enter the number of days they wish to keep the messages?
3) It is unclear how these settings interact with the Administrative settings for a user, on the Advanced tab, under Timeout Policy; E-mail message lifetime, Trashed message lifetime, and Spam message lifetime. On the user settings I changed the setting for Junk to 7 days, and this setting is not reflected on the Administrative page. Which setting takes precedence? From an administrative standpoint I think this could get confusing.

Not sure if I'm missing something here. I searched around Bugzilla, but didn't find any open RFE's for these issues. I'm wondering what others think, and whether or not it is worth filing new RFE's for any or all of these things.