Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Outlook crashing tomcat

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Outlook crashing tomcat

    Yesterday I experienced an issue with our mailbox (tomcat) being stopped. I'd restart it and a few minutes later it would stop again. I had to do this about 8-10 times over the next hour while simultaneously looking through the logs. It stopped crashing just after 5 pm or so. I was able to find that there were repeated entries in the mailbox.log saying "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space". It was always for the same user and always during a message send. Turns out the user turned off their PC at 5pm and went home - right when the crashing stopped.

    Today I was able to confirm that they have an email stuck in their outbox and every attempt to deliver results in this heap error and usually every 3rd or 4th attempt results in tomcat crashing completely.

    As for the message, it doesn't appear to be too unusual. It is a reply to a mass email of about 30 people. He's attempting to reply to all 30 of them and then CC 2 other. I sent myself a test message from his account which does leave the inbox, but the stuck message stays stuck.

    Obviously, deleting this email will stop this instance of the problem - but I want to prevent it from happening again with him or anyone else.

    Specifics:
    server is a VMWARE VM running with 2G of RAM and 2 cores assigned. There are about 75 total mailboxes on this server. Zimbra version is Network Edition 4.5.5. User is on XP Pro with Outlook 2003 and Zimbra ZCS 4.5.230.0.

    What I find most disturbing is that outlook can bring down the Web Client and Web admin client.

    I appreciate any help or troubleshooting/prevention advice.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Thatcher, AZ
    Posts
    5,606
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shankwc View Post
    Yesterday I experienced an issue with our mailbox (tomcat) being stopped. I'd restart it and a few minutes later it would stop again. I had to do this about 8-10 times over the next hour while simultaneously looking through the logs. It stopped crashing just after 5 pm or so. I was able to find that there were repeated entries in the mailbox.log saying "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space". It was always for the same user and always during a message send. Turns out the user turned off their PC at 5pm and went home - right when the crashing stopped.

    Today I was able to confirm that they have an email stuck in their outbox and every attempt to deliver results in this heap error and usually every 3rd or 4th attempt results in tomcat crashing completely.

    As for the message, it doesn't appear to be too unusual. It is a reply to a mass email of about 30 people. He's attempting to reply to all 30 of them and then CC 2 other. I sent myself a test message from his account which does leave the inbox, but the stuck message stays stuck.

    Obviously, deleting this email will stop this instance of the problem - but I want to prevent it from happening again with him or anyone else.

    Specifics:
    server is a VMWARE VM running with 2G of RAM and 2 cores assigned. There are about 75 total mailboxes on this server. Zimbra version is Network Edition 4.5.5. User is on XP Pro with Outlook 2003 and Zimbra ZCS 4.5.230.0.

    What I find most disturbing is that outlook can bring down the Web Client and Web admin client.

    I appreciate any help or troubleshooting/prevention advice.
    Bug 19221 - Do not hold whole message in memory ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    10

    Default So what could I do help make this a rare occurance??

    Should I increase ram so it's harder to break java? Increase the heap-size?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    965
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Are you by chance using another server, besides your Zimbra server, as your SMTP server? We ran into a similar problem as you have described a while back, but we are using the Zimbra Web Client with the MTA pointed to another server. It turned out that there was a problem on this other server, and every time sometime tried to send a message Tomcat would crash, and I would see the same error messages that you are seeing.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    No. we are not setup like that.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Thatcher, AZ
    Posts
    5,606
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shankwc View Post
    Should I increase ram so it's harder to break java? Increase the heap-size?
    Is it still crashing? If not, I think we've done a lot of memory improvements in 4.5.7, you're best bet is to wait.

    This also can happen if someone tries to send HUGE file. If it's still crashing, then can you remove the large file from the queue?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I removed the file from the offending outlook outbox and the server has stablized. i'd like to try to prevent this from happening in the future. Shouldn't my 10M attachment limit prevent this?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Thatcher, AZ
    Posts
    5,606
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shankwc View Post
    I removed the file from the offending outlook outbox and the server has stablized. i'd like to try to prevent this from happening in the future. Shouldn't my 10M attachment limit prevent this?
    Totally depends on how much ram, and what the tomcat heap is. You can increase the heap size to prevent this from happening.

    However, in 4.5.7 we've fixed this issue. So, it's up to you

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,242
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Personally I would wait for all the other improvements-but if you we're curious:
    zmlocalconfig | grep mem
    Should spit out your tomcat_java_heap_memory_percent

    if you wanted to change it - something like:
    zmlocalconfig -e tomcat_java_heap_memory_percent=x

Similar Threads

  1. Sending Email from External Applications Through Outlook
    By btriem in forum Zimbra Connector for Outlook
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-12-2007, 08:41 AM
  2. Dynamics AX and Outlook Connector
    By area in forum Zimbra Connector for Outlook
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 12:15 PM
  3. Outlook connector sync errors on 4.5.1
    By russgalleywood in forum Zimbra Connector for Outlook
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-26-2007, 10:38 AM
  4. Activesync w/ Outlook Connector Kills Outlook
    By jnetman1 in forum Administrators
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 12:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •