Thread: Outlook crashing tomcat

Default Outlook crashing tomcat

Yesterday I experienced an issue with our mailbox (tomcat) being stopped. I'd restart it and a few minutes later it would stop again. I had to do this about 8-10 times over the next hour while simultaneously looking through the logs. It stopped crashing just after 5 pm or so. I was able to find that there were repeated entries in the mailbox.log saying "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space". It was always for the same user and always during a message send. Turns out the user turned off their PC at 5pm and went home - right when the crashing stopped.

Today I was able to confirm that they have an email stuck in their outbox and every attempt to deliver results in this heap error and usually every 3rd or 4th attempt results in tomcat crashing completely.

As for the message, it doesn't appear to be too unusual. It is a reply to a mass email of about 30 people. He's attempting to reply to all 30 of them and then CC 2 other. I sent myself a test message from his account which does leave the inbox, but the stuck message stays stuck.

Obviously, deleting this email will stop this instance of the problem - but I want to prevent it from happening again with him or anyone else.

Specifics:
    server is a VMWARE VM running with 2G of RAM and 2 cores assigned. There are about 75 total mailboxes on this server. Zimbra version is Network Edition 4.5.5. User is on XP Pro with Outlook 2003 and Zimbra ZCS 4.5.230.0.

What I find most disturbing is that outlook can bring down the Web Client and Web admin client.

I appreciate any help or troubleshooting/prevention advice.

Quote Originally Posted by shankwc View Post
    Yesterday I experienced an issue with our mailbox (tomcat) being stopped. I'd restart it and a few minutes later it would stop again. I had to do this about 8-10 times over the next hour while simultaneously looking through the logs. It stopped crashing just after 5 pm or so. I was able to find that there were repeated entries in the mailbox.log saying "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space". It was always for the same user and always during a message send. Turns out the user turned off their PC at 5pm and went home - right when the crashing stopped.

Today I was able to confirm that they have an email stuck in their outbox and every attempt to deliver results in this heap error and usually every 3rd or 4th attempt results in tomcat crashing completely.

As for the message, it doesn't appear to be too unusual. It is a reply to a mass email of about 30 people. He's attempting to reply to all 30 of them and then CC 2 other. I sent myself a test message from his account which does leave the inbox, but the stuck message stays stuck.

Obviously, deleting this email will stop this instance of the problem - but I want to prevent it from happening again with him or anyone else.

Specifics:
    server is a VMWARE VM running with 2G of RAM and 2 cores assigned. There are about 75 total mailboxes on this server. Zimbra version is Network Edition 4.5.5. User is on XP Pro with Outlook 2003 and Zimbra ZCS 4.5.230.0.

What I find most disturbing is that outlook can bring down the Web Client and Web admin client.

I appreciate any help or troubleshooting/prevention advice.
    Bug 19221 - Do not hold whole message in memory ?

Default So what could I do help make this a rare occurance??

Should I increase ram so it's harder to break java? Increase the heap-size?

Are you by chance using another server, besides your Zimbra server, as your SMTP server? We ran into a similar problem as you have described a while back, but we are using the Zimbra Web Client with the MTA pointed to another server. It turned out that there was a problem on this other server, and every time sometime tried to send a message Tomcat would crash, and I would see the same error messages that you are seeing.

No. we are not setup like that.

Should I increase ram so it's harder to break java? Increase the heap-size?
    Is it still crashing? If not, I think we've done a lot of memory improvements in 4.5.7, you're best bet is to wait.

This also can happen if someone tries to send HUGE file. If it's still crashing, then can you remove the large file from the queue?

I removed the file from the offending outlook outbox and the server has stablized. i'd like to try to prevent this from happening in the future. Shouldn't my 10M attachment limit prevent this?

I removed the file from the offending outlook outbox and the server has stablized. i'd like to try to prevent this from happening in the future. Shouldn't my 10M attachment limit prevent this?
    Totally depends on how much ram, and what the tomcat heap is. You can increase the heap size to prevent this from happening.

However, in 4.5.7 we've fixed this issue. So, it's up to you

Personally I would wait for all the other improvements-but if you we're curious:
    zmlocalconfig | grep mem
    Should spit out your tomcat_java_heap_memory_percent

if you wanted to change it - something like:
    zmlocalconfig -e tomcat_java_heap_memory_percent=x