Thread: Restore Backup to Remote Server

Default Restore Backup to Remote Server

I am running a primary Zimbra server and want to maintain a backup Zimbra mirror server that is updated daily.

I looked at this Wiki Scripts to sync to a remote Zimbra backup machine - ZimbraWiki on the subject, but it appears to require laying out all domains and user accounts and passwords in advance. I'd really like something more dynamic, like a simple daily backup from Server A and restore to Server B.

I've read several forum messages on attempts to do something similar, and have not yet found a solution that works:
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/migrati...c-another.html
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...il-server.html
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/migrati...p-restore.html

What I did was run /opt/zimbra/bin/zmbackup -f -a all on Server A, copied the file over to Server B, and there ran /opt/zimbra/bin/zmrestore -lb. Got this error message: " Error occurred: system failure: Unable to connect to LDAP directory". Zimbra on Server B crashed and will not start.

Sooo.... If someone knows how a simple daily mirror backup between two servers can be achieved dynamically, would you please let me know? Thanks so much!

Well there's a few more steps : /docs/ne/latest/administration_guide/10_Backup_Restore.13.1.html#1079525

Do you need a hot-standby machine? or cold-standby? or just a rsync copy of your backups moved to another location for use in a manual switchover?

-The link you posted used imapsync, which other than the mail, wouldn't get you very far.
    -See more OS methods here: Open Source Edition Backup Procedure - ZimbraWiki
    -/forums/installation/11524-solved-how-cold-standby-server-no-cluster.html
    -Could do a entire /opt/zimbra rsync but you're a NE user so I'd imagine you don't want to zmcontrol stop.

Enter clustering:

For the network edition, clustering is provided for the mailstores using RHEL & RHCS +SAN & a fencing device. (This is the method support is trained on & can assist with.)

DRBD & Heartbeat is a common failover solution used by OS edition users, (/forums/administrators/2845-zimbra-drbd.html) but it can certainly be used in NE setups as well.
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-26-2007 at 01:40 PM.