Thread: Deleting an identity?

Default Deleting an identity?

I created an identity for an old account when I set up one of my new ones. It never really did what I wanted (due to the fact that it'd use the new SMTP server even with the old identity) so I want to just get rid of it--actually, now that my new accounts are working I would not use it anyhow.

But I can't find an option on the "Mail Identities" tab to delete the stupid thing! Am I overlooking the obvious, or is it really not there?

at the bottom? It's ok dan, we still like ya!
    + there's a chance it's not your fault anyway - because it maybe due to this:
    Note-That blue bar area will disappear if you turn off mail identities in the admin console features tabs (individual user or COS), thus they can still manage their signature etc.

Also, when you disable 'allow sending email from any address' they're only presented with a dropdown list of email addresses, instead of a blank to enter whatever user@domain.com they want. (They can still edit some other things like sig's though. But for instance you might want to disable reply-to http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/attachment.cgi?id=3828, etc.)
    Last edited by mmorse; 04-14-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Note-That blue bar area will disappear if you turn off mail identities in the admin console features tabs
    See, that was my problem. I had reverted that user to the COS (which denied identities) before deleting an identity that was there.

Is this, perhaps, a buglet of sorts? Seems to me if we turn off the identities feature, it should disable existing non-default identities, as well as the ability to add/delete them. . .is that worth filing?

yup it is a catch 22! ah, but your forgetting that some people wanted the ability to lock-in identities Guess then it's my fault for not elaborating a little more originally!

mail identities feature-when it's disabled you should only be able to edit the default identity/signature.

In a perfect world, 'Lock' OR 'DefaultOnly' would have been other attributes all together...but there's so many of those things already & the thought was 'why not kill 2 birds with one stone?' (keep in mind the UI constantly increases in complexity with every feature added to zcs)

Who knows maybe no one cares for a 'lock' anymore? Can't say I do personally right now. The problem is - how do you make sure to ask everyone if they still want it?
    Because we all know people gripe when capabilities are removed from anything. It's always hard to find the proper relation between simplicity & functionality.
    Or when disabled just force delete the other identities & wait till someone makes a counter RFE...what a system eh?
    What if someone accidentally disables mail identities for a sec and wipes out a user's hard work to set them up?

----
    Thus, to satisfy everyone from the get go, either:
    a) the current method - just better documentation in the admin console about how the identities can get locked in accidentally
    OR
    b) make a zimbraIdentitiesLock -still allows multiple identities, but prevents any adds, removes, or edits (even to sigs, etc?)
    OR
    c) zimbraIdentitiesDefaultOnly -only show & allow editing the default (no add/remove button)
    OR
    d) when zimbraFeatureIdentitiesEnabled FALSE, display a message bar at the top of the section notifying them "You can currently only edit the default identity, please see your administrator if you need to modify any of the additional identities.'

The buttons do need to be removed somehow - Yes, you could leave the buttons there and show the same type of message when add/remove is pressed, but some organizations/companies/providers don't want to advertise that capability in the first place.

Perhaps just show the message when identities is disabled, they have more than one identity, and when they try to edit the other identities?

----
    If any of the above sound good, you know the way to bugzilla

Generally, most people's only focus on turning off 'allow sending email from any address' (thereby they can only send from assigned aliases) & disabling 'reply-to' any address.

None the less, zcs is shaped by requests - it's why they started with a blank slate instead of cramming in options; so if you don't even intend to use any of the above features yourself, & making an RFE does nothing other than prevent someone else's confusion in the future (+ my having to type another long explanation) then that's still good
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-25-2007 at 08:17 AM.

BTW-if you we're curious, the default for zimbraIdentityMaxNumEntries is currently 20
    (that's the max number of identities one can make)
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-25-2007 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    (keep in mind the UI constantly increases in complexity with every feature added to zcs)
    And this is probably not the place to complicate it. I suspect your idea of clearer documentation is probably the easiest, and for me, the only necessary solution. Since now that I have turned off identities I doubt I'll be turning them back on, it is certainly not a place I'm going to be making detailed requests of other people, who might actually USE the feature. . .

My only comment by way of feedback would be that, the reason I did not find identities useful even in my limited, temporary use, was the fact that I could not designate the identity to send the message via a different SMTP server (which would have required POP-before-send authentication even if the feature were available). The result was that my alter-ego emails got slammed by OTHER PEOPLE's spam filters, because the "from" domain didn't match the SMTP domain.

But again, I don't need the feature any more, so I post this feedback more for academic benefit than anything else. . .