Thread: Modify behavior of forwarding

Default Modify behavior of forwarding

I have a unique situation and am looking for clean solution.

I need to have Zimbra treat any mail that is created by act of a forwarding rule different from other messages. I would like to get it to add a custom header or send the mail to a different IP address than the rest of the mail, which is all going to a specific IP for relay now.

I'd love to find something which would survive an upgrade of Zimbra but barring that, just something which I could do easily after each upgrade would work fine as well.

Any ideas from the Postfix masters out there?
    Peter LeBlond
    Product Development Engineer
    http://www.mxtoolbox.com

Hi-
    Can you please give an example of what you want?

best,
    john

1) I have a mail source which is setup to relay all mail through Zimbra so that I can archive mail headed for an external destination but which is "from" an email address that Zimbra owns.

2) Zimbra is configured to relay all mail (Webmail MTA and relay host) to an email gateway which does some processing and delivers it to the net.

3) I need the delivery gateway to be able to identify mail which was generated by a forwarding rule in Zimbra so I process it differently from mail which is just being relayed.

I am inserting a custom header on all mail in the pre-Zimbra source so that I can identify it after it goes through Zimbra. But one of my users broke that method because if a message comes in for an Zimbra mailbox and is then forwarded to an external address it looks just like a message that was relayed for the same external address. What I would love to do would be to configure postfix to either insert a custom X-header on all mail generated by a forwarding rule or to send all forwards to a different gateway for processing.

It's kinda confusing I know, but if you can think of anything that could cause this behavior to happen, I'd be eternally greatful.
    Peter LeBlond
    Product Development Engineer
    http://www.mxtoolbox.com