I've successfully backed up a running copy of 4.5.7 CE on CentOS5 which seems to be working fine. I'm using the LVM method, and I make the snapshot while Zimbra is not running.

However, it doesn't seem to matter what I do, I can't get tomcat running on the restored machine. I'm restoring to another computer that's running the exact same version (4.5.7) and then I run install.sh and do an upgrade. Everything seems to work except for tomcat, which when I do zmcontrol status, it always says

tomcat is not running

And of course, I get some error about a stale PID being found in the zimbra log.

I've tried the instructions exactly as stated in the Wiki and in the forum posts I've found. As I was typing this post, I think I've fixed my problem, so I guess I'll share it with everybody, hope it helps, and maybe someone can explain why I had to do this.

At any rate, here's what fixed it -

1. I started out with a running test production server and a backup server that was actually already set up as a zimbra server.
2. I backed up the test production server using the LVM backup method (I used a short cold backup -- the Zimbra server was only down for a few seconds, long enough to take the snapshot).
3. I copied the /opt/zimbra folder from the backup (version 4.5.7) and copied it over the backup server's /opt/zimbra folder (which had also already been set up as 4.5.7).
4. I upgraded the backup server using install.sh from a 4.5.7 install tar file.
5. zmcontrol start, tomcat won't start.
6. Whoops, Wiki article said to run /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms first. Did that.
7. zmcontrol start, tomcat still won't start.
8. Hit with sledgehammer, knowing it won't work but frustrated and wanting to break something ---> chown -R zimbra:zimbra /opt/zimbra
9. zmcontrol start
10. Well, of course, that was stupid, now postfix won't start. I should have known that.
11. Forget it, it's time to wipe it all out and try again and write a forum post asking what I'm doing wrong, but first, for the heck of it (believing I've messed up the permissions beyond repair)
12. /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms again
13. SUCCESS!!!

So, it seems that somewhere along the lines, zmfixperms is supposed to chown something zimbra:zimbra but it doesn't do it. My sledgehammer "chown -R zimbra:zimbra /opt/zimbra" did, and running zmfixperms again undid the damage done by my sledgehammer.

Is this just a bug in zmfixperms? Or am I doing something else wrong?

Anyway, I'm now off to see if I can accomplish the same procedure without having to do the "upgrade" portion.