Thread: User claims Zimbra is reloading his browser...

Default User claims Zimbra is reloading his browser...

Hi,

I know this is unlikely, but I have a user who claims that every time he composes an e-mail between 6:55 and 7:10am Zimbra proceeds to reload his browser (Internet Explorer 6.0) thus destroying his changes. I immediately figured he was accidentally hitting refresh, but ZWC gives an 'are you sure?' when you do that....

This has been very frustrating for me because I have *never* heard of this happening, and I support over 200 users on Zimbra, all using the web client. I suggested he try using Firefox instead but he refuses; so I am just looking to see if anyone can either add validity to this claim, or dismiss it.

What's more irritating is that the change to Zimbra from Outlook has been not well received by everyone at my agency.. (lots of older folks resistant to change..) and he continuously CC's our entire staff with these complaints so I need to squash this quickly.

Thanks,

-n8
    Last edited by natrixgli; 10-12-2007 at 01:49 PM.

I'd suggest you look at the mailbox.log for entries for that time.

If the client is undergoing a reload, there will be an entry like:
    Code:
    [2007-10-10 16:33:49,090 INFO  [btpool0-10] [name=user@domain.com;mid=3880;ip=192.168.1.1;ua=ZimbraWebClient - IE7 (Win)/5.0.0_RC1.1_1535.RHEL4;] cache - Initializing folder and tag caches for mailbox (number here)

I found this, apparently the user IS using IE6 still:

Code:
    2007-10-11 06:12:11,814 INFO  [http-80-Processor54] [name=user@domain.org;mid=104;ip=[PUBLIC_IP_ADDRESS];ua=ZimbraWebClient - IE6 (Win)/4.5.6_GA_1044.UBUNTU6;] cache - Initializing folder and tag caches for mailbox 81

Does this indicate a manual refresh, like pressing F5? Wouldn't the user get a warning message?

-n8
    Last edited by natrixgli; 10-12-2007 at 01:46 PM.

Well, it doesn't indicate a manual or automatic. Like you, I don't think it's the zimbra app.

One way to test, is to open a virtual machine on your box, and try to replicate it. If it happens, it's something with the server. If not, then it's his machine.

It's best to assume that it is happening, and try to track it down.

Thank you for your assistance. I see a lot of those messages, even at times when the user is not in the office. I have tried to duplicate the problem, and I too believe it's something on the user's computer causing the issue. The server has been moved since it originally cropped up, and was upgraded from 4.5.5 to 4.5.6 - and I can't imagine a bug this significant would go unnoticed, so I am very unwilling to believe it's a Zimbra issue.

The workstation in question is being replaced soon, so hopefully the problem will disappear. If not, I'll prepare myself for some wrenching.

This is my 2nd Zimbra rollout, and the first went smooth, everyone loved it. But I work at a non-profit elderly services agency where we employ 60-70% older workers and change is not welcome by everyone.. This sort of problem just makes it that much more fun!

On the upside, one of our directors made me employee of the month because her team loves Zimbra's shared calendars so much!

Again, thanks for all your help!

-n8
    Last edited by natrixgli; 10-12-2007 at 05:31 PM.