Thread: Global filter via UI?

Default Global filter via UI?

Is there a plug-in (or built-in) for adding global filters for incoming email? I need to redirect/block all incoming emails that contain profanity. If Zimbra doesn't have a UI interface for this, is there a postfix how-to that's relevant to Zimbra? TIA!

Seems to me you should be able to use SpamAssassin to do something like this; it would mark the phrases or words you configure as unacceptable with a spam score, and depending how you score it that should block it (or at least land it in the junk folder).

Take a look at the files in /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin. Study the files 20_phrases.cf and 50_scores.cf to get an idea of syntax, and then put the appropriate definition expressions (use the syntax from 20_phrases.cf) and the appropriate score assignments (syntax from 50_scores.cf) and put your own custom definitions in a third file, local.cf, which lives in the same directory. Then save a copy of your local.cf file so that you don't lose your settings when you upgrade versions, in case it gets wiped out.

It may take some experimentation, but I believe it'll work. As to whether the banned words/phrases result in the message going into the user's junk folder or being completely eliminated, that'll depend on the scores you assign to their occurrence.

Dan

I know this is an old thread, but as this is the same lines thought I'd post it here..

I have put;

body LOCAL_BANGBUS /bang bus/i
    score LOCAL_BANGBUS 7

body LOCAL_HORNY /horny/i
    score LOCAL_HORNY 7

in my salocal.cf.in file and restarted zmamavisdctl but these rules are having no effect, in the tests I have done from my gmail account etc the messages still get through.

I need to be able to ban phrases / words but this does not seem to be working.

I have repeatedly seen folks post on a variety of boards with similar variations on the them you point out here. For reasons that I do not fully understand, it seems that the files people usually want to modify for SpamAssassin control (and which work in a standard SpamAssassin installation) DO NOT WORK as the way to modify your settings in Zimbra's implementation of Spamassassin.

Specifically, people keep wanting to modify salocal.cf.in and THIS DOES NOT WORK!!!

Instead, as I said earlier in this thread and in several other threads, if you modify the files in /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin, and most specifically the file local.cf in that directory, you can get all kinds of useful spamassassin settings to work. Nice thing about it is, since local.cf overrides settings in all the other files, you can keep all your tweaks in one place for backup purposes. This is important because these settings do not survive upgrades, so having them backed up in a single file makes it a cinch to re-implement your various tweaks when you upgrade Zimbra.
    Cheers,

Dan

The reason why it's the salocal.cf.in is thats the file the Zimbra Wiki on improving spamassassin says to use, if thats not correct then it needs to be updated. I have also put those entries in the local.cf in the sa directory and they still get through.
    Last edited by langs; 10-06-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Dan,
    I as others followed the wiki http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...ti-spam_system

Which suggest that salocal.cf.in is the file to update and backup.

It appears to be working as the filters and values I set there are used, I see them in the SPAM flag summary lines of some of the "Junk" results.

Quote Originally Posted by jrefl5 View Post
    Dan,
    I as others followed the wiki Improving Anti-spam system - Zimbra :: Wiki

Which suggest that salocal.cf.in is the file to update and backup.

It appears to be working as the filters and values I set there are used, I see them in the SPAM flag summary lines of some of the "Junk" results.
    OK, it works for some and not for others. I wish I could tell you why. . .it did not work for me. . .perhaps a few others could weigh in here before I stick my foot even further in it!

Perhaps I should make a good ol' politican's waffle and put an "on the one hand. . .on the other hand" option in the wiki?
    Cheers,

Dan

Default Filters

Hi,

wish to introduce some filters need to be introduced in mail server based on with some words /sentence /phrase. Those mails which contain these words in either in Mail Contents /subjects ,should send to some selective ids .

For example
    if any mail subject/mail content contain Money , should forward xxx@indorama.com.ng
    if any mail subject/mail content contain *** , should forward yyy@indorama.com.ng