Thread: Spam filter

Question Spam filter

Hi,

On my current live server running courier MTA and SA I can allow a customer's domain to have all mail delivered to there inbox instead of filtering to the spam folder. Can this be done with Zimbra. I am in the progress of migrating across to zimbra.

Thanks Mark

You actually have 2 methods or making it end up in the inbox. (I'm assuming you still want spam assassin else you would turn it off altogether)

Background:
    It's the standard 20point system - 20 in the amavisd.conf.in file = 100% in the admin console global settings AV tab.
    100% = 20pts
    33% = 6.6pts
    75% = 15pts
    etc

So the 1st method would be to adjust this level:
    zmprov mcf zimbraSpamTagPercent 33
    -would put everything above 6.6pts in the junk folder (and label with a custom **SPAM** in the subject line if you have that enabled) - I personally don't do this because it's already in the junk folder.
    Mail goes to the junk folder (Unless the user has their own filter that moves it elsewhere; then I suggest they/you make an accompanying x-spam-level header filter: say contains at least **** then move back to junk etc)

zmprov mcf zimbraSpamKillPercent 75
    Over 10pts the mail does not get delivered to the users (unless you set final_spam_destiny to D_PASS - values are D_PASS, D_BOUNCE, D_REJECT and D_DISCARD -search the postfix documentation for descriptions)

Which brings us to your 2nd method:
    Change the action (discard vs bounce etc) in amavisd.conf.in (don't edit amavisd.conf directly, edit the .in and restart)
    $final_spam_destiny=D_DISCARD;

----------
    Extra info:
    You can also play with the dsn (delivery status notification) setting; so over a certain level you won't be responding 'I got your mail' to the spammers.
    $sa_dsn_cutoff_level = 50;

This next part is kinda odd because right now there is no 'queue' for you to edit/approve/disapprove from.
    It is cleaned up every day though: 0 1 * * * find /opt/zimbra/amavisd/quarantine -type f -mtime +7 -exec rm -f {} \; > /dev/null 2>&1
    But to immediately delete/not bother quarantining high scoring spam/virus (therefore reducing the number of items in the quarantine) this setting allows you to discard quarantined spam above this level:
    $sa_quarantine_cutoff_level = 90;

Note: In that amavisd.conf.in file, wherever possible it's better to set the values with zmprov/admin console (ie: the tag & kill levels) so that it stays consistent across upgrades.
    Last edited by mmorse; 10-18-2007 at 09:32 AM.

Question Can I switch off the Spam filter for one domain?

Hi,

Thanks for the info I will start looking at it. I am not sure if my question was answered or maybe I didn't ask it correctly. Can I switch of Spam for a single domain ?

Thanks Mark

Amavisd-new - Marking spam for only one domain
    (edit amavisd.conf.in if you use any of those ideas)

I guess the question is: Do you want to totally skip SA for this domain? Or do you want to still use SA but for this domain but just skip the junk folder?

Question Skip completely

The customer is a bit of a nightmare they want all mail delivered to them ...

Another question ... If the client using pop doesn't set leave mail on the server will all email be downloaded or do they still need to delete mail by logging into webmail ??

Thanks Mark

PS did you notice I had fixed the logger ?

Default Sa

mmorse,

Can I switch off SA for one domain ? I am not sure if you explained that one.

Thanks Mark

Well some countries have laws don't let anyone 100% block emails, that's a nightmare I'd bet

Good - now I fully get what your asking. Ok, so the above link has 2 methods.

Plus, there's always this method (though I've never attempted it domain wide) individual-wise it would be:
    zmprov modifyAccount user@domain.com amavisBypassSpamChecks TRUE amavisSpamLover TRUE
    (Just run that through a list of users real fast)

Vote on this: Bug 7502 - Deactivate SPAM filter for particular users. to have it as a COS setting (then you just apply it in the cos of all users in that domain)

POP: settings usually look like

(thunderbird)
    Last edited by mmorse; 10-18-2007 at 12:06 PM.

Talked via skype,
    -pop question solved
    -RBL questions solved (just missing some necessary quotes around “reject_rbl_client rbl.service.com”)
    -unsure what method he finally decided to use for the skip of SA, but it sounds like it's going to be amavisBypassSpamChecks TRUE amavisSpamLover TRUE
    -would also have to do mappings on the restrictions if wanted to avoid even the RBL's
    Last edited by mmorse; 10-22-2007 at 07:15 AM.