Thread: Outbound SMTP Question

Hybrid View

Default Outbound SMTP Question

I have a "get to know zimbra" server running here at my house and it's running just fine. Great actually. My problem is that Bellsouth makes me funnel my outbound email through mail.bellsouth.net. Not a big deal. If I set my zimbra webmail mta hostname to mail.bellsouth.net I can send via webmail just fine. If I leave the webmail mta hostname set to localhost and set the relay mta for external delivery to mail.bellsouth.net, predictably I get:

The Postfix program
    <.....@gmail.com>: host mx00.mail.bellsouth.net[205.152.58.32] said: 550 relaying mail to gmail.com is not allowed (in reply to RCPT TO command)

Soo, can someone tell me how to configure zimbra's postfix to simply use bellsouth's outbound smtp server for internet mail?

I haven't even gotten far enough to ask this question but.. I will anyway. I'll need to send internet emails from scron'd shellscripts via the mail command; I assume this still works when I disable Fedora's sendmail and use zimbra? Forgive my ignorance here.

Thanks for the help. I have high hopes for this product!

-John

Default mail relay

sounds like the problem is at bellsouth, actually - they should accept mail from your IP and relay it anywhere.

Are you sure you're using the correct server? They may have a different server for you to use outbound.

sendmail should still work, though you may have to set a smarthost.

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    sounds like the problem is at bellsouth, actually - they should accept mail from your IP and relay it anywhere.

Are you sure you're using the correct server? They may have a different server for you to use outbound.

sendmail should still work, though you may have to set a smarthost.
    Yeah, It's the only smtp server bellsouth allows me. If I set the webmail mta to mail.bellsouth.net, it works fine. The problem is when their mail server sees the email coming from another mta, not a client (i.e postfix, not the web client). How do I set a smarthost? Thanks for the reply. I know this isn't a zimbra issue, I just don't know where the all the switchs are yet..

Default smtp smart host with sendmail.

(This applies to sendmail, NOT the zimbra postfix instance)

To set a smarthost, look in /etc/sendmail.cf (or /etc/mail/sendmail.cf) for a line that starts with "DS" and add your smarthost name:
    DSmail.bellsouth.net

When you invoke sendmail (use the sendmail installed one, usually /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail) add the -Ac option:
    /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail -Ac recipient@domain.com

This will force it to use the config file, even for an initial submission.