I guess this is more of a moral question instead of a technical one
We at i2k2 Systems have 7 years of experience working with Imail, Mail Enable, Merak and other windows based email servers on enterprise level hosting. We adopted Zimbra in its early days since mid 2005
We have integrated Zimbra OSS in our hosting control panels and created our own Zimbra OSS admin fully integrated in our hosting platform. We have more than 8000+ shared or dedicated email users on Zimbra OSS on more than 15 servers.
We have moved thousands of users/domains from Imail to Zimbra in past few months and in this process we have created a Migration Tool and OSS Zimbra Admin, which does the following
Imail to Zimbra Migration:
1) Support all version of Imail from 6.0 to 2000 and all versions of Zimbra
2) Imail users with passwords and email quota to Zimbra users and quota
3) Imail aliases to Zimbra distribution lists
4) User filters in Imail to Zimbra user filters
5) Imail user address book entries to Zimbra address book & contacts
6) Imail user signatures to Zimbra user identity signature
7) Imail user forwarding to Zimbra user forwarding setting
8) Creates IMAPSync commands script to run on Zimbra server to transfer email
9) Windows installer based on Inno-setup
10) 100% source code written in-house for this tool
OSS Zimbra Admin
1) Written in ASP + VB + SQL Server 2000 which uses Zimbra XML API can easily be converted to PHP & MySQL
2) Allows creation of domain Administrators users based on SQL DB
3) Can allot multiple domains per administrator
4) Allows the following per domain
Change User Password
Control User Quota
Paged Listing of Users
Add Distribution List
Delete Distribution List
Update Distribution List
Paged Listing of Distribution List
Above is all that is 99% needed in shared hosting to give to end client as rest of the functions are built into end user options.
Now the moral questions is we would like to share this with open source community and give back a little in exchange of using OSS Zimbra but we have lots of hosting competitors in India and abroad which heavily use Imail and would like to move to Zimbra and they donít have tools to 100% migrate Imail to Zimbra OSS or they donít use Zimbra OSS for shared hosting as they donít have Seprate Admin in OSS and releasing these tools we will cut down the professional edge over them.
So Question is what can we do and what model can we use to release our tool
1) 100% Source and Binary Release
2) Binary Release of the tool to be used as Freeware
3) Or some kind of mixed licensee where we do something different?
We also like to start initiative to create similar migration tools for Mailenable and Merak or other Windows email servers integrated into 1 tool
I would really appreciate input from Zimbra and our OOS community to help us decide.
Raj S Vrach