Thread: Don't automatically mark message as read

Hybrid View

Default Don't automatically mark message as read

For the first time, after setting up several Zimbra servers, I've now migrated over our own company's internal mail server over to Zimbra and have myself become a user.

The first, most annoying thing I noticed was that as soon as you click on an email in the web interface it is immediately marked as read. This also actually happens to the first message when you log in and the top message in each "page" of messages as you scroll through them. This leads to the possibility of accidentally marking emails as read without noticing you have done it and therefore missing the message altogether. The "conversations" style method of viewing messages is not an option. Isn't there some way to not mark messages as read until they have been specifically marked as read, or maybe not for 60 seconds or something, like most other email clients?

Hello,
    I believe the enhancement you're looking for is Bug 17988 - delay before marking a mail as read

Please feel free to vote for it, as it only has one vote and isn't targeted for any release right now.

john

Ugh, so there's no workaround or anything? I can't believe that there's only two people who think this is the most annoying thing they've ever had to deal with...

At any rate, I voted for the bug.

Have you tried having those whom this annoys, use the standard html client? In 5.0, we've done some awesome things to it to make it easier to those who have pre-existing paradigms, to use.

In 5.0, searches don't automatically display the first matching result. So nothing automatically gets marked read.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

jholder: actually, the user that this annoys the most is me and I'd rather not use the standard html client

dkarp: too bad 5.0 isn't out yet actually the feature you mentioned would solve at least *most* of the problem. not automatically highlighting a message on login or when going to the next page of messages would eliminate the majority of these "accidentally" marked messages. What about after you delete a message, etc.? Does the one below it get automatically highlighted (and therefore marked as read)?