Thread: Firewall?

Hybrid View

Default Firewall?

I've browsed threads relating to firewalls and I'm still not clear if there is consensus - Zimbra behind firewall or not? I know the install document indicates that it shouldn't be, but what is standard in production environments?

In my opinion you should always firewall. I have firewalled everything with proper permissions it will still work properly.

Your MTA should be in a DMZ because it is fairly public.

Welcome to the forums,

The ports you will need opened: Ports - Zimbra :: Wiki

Cluster ports are also at the bottom of this doc: Firewall Configuration - Zimbra :: Wiki

Pay special attention to the first sentence in the Wiki Mike referenced:
    You may choose not to allow remote connections to all of these.
    I would change that to "You SHOULD choose not to allow. . . " IMHO allowing admin access from outside (port 7071) is a bad idea. I'm not saying I expect Zimbra to be hacked but if it ever is, allowing that many open ports allows the bad guys to exploit (or at least probe) your server that much more easily.

Being the paranoid sort that I am, I currently have Zimbra living on a DMZ and the only ports open from outside are 443 and 25. Traffic on these ports is forwarded to Zimbra's internal ip address by a DNAT/SNAT rule on my firewall. When I get around to setting up any external pop accounts I'll also open 995 for secure pop, but I don't anticipate ever opening any of the non-SSL ports (except 25, obviously), and certainly not admin, to anyone except by logging onto a VPN first. You may also want to open IMAP, but from the outside I would recommend only secure IMAP if you do, for the same reason. I would also set my box to not allow unencrypted logons by any of the various services.

From the LAN, of course, you need admin, IMAP, etc. If your LAN is compromised you have a lot bigger problems than just your mail server!

Default Thanks!

Thanks, guys, that feedback is great and what I was previously thinking too.