Thread: Shared Distribution Lists, Contacts, etc

Default Shared Distribution Lists, Contacts, etc

Hi All,

We are migrating a large user base bit by bit. We need all new users to be able to work off of a central contact list that needs to be maintained by a non admin user. We laos have different distribution lists whose membership also needs to be maintained by non admin users. Most of our users will use Outlook. What is the best way to get his done?

So far, when I share anything, I cannot figure out how the user can discover that this shared resource exists and that they can mount it into their address books, calendars, etc.

Help!

Sorry in advance for all the possibilities I'm about to present you with - it basically comes down to how fast do you need the functionality vs. if you can wait for the RFE's to be completed

Quote Originally Posted by rkerr View Post
    We laos have different distribution lists whose membership also needs to be maintained by non admin users.
    You could also setup a limited shell or a management portal to run CLI/SOAP to manage this - see Zmprov - Zimbra :: Wiki > Distribution List Provisioning Commands
    OR
    /forums/administrators/12507-automatic-distribution-lists-management.html
    OR
    Wait for Bug 19579 - distribution list -- moderator > which is joined into > Bug 8968 - Mailman Integration
    OR
    If you would like to try on your own: /forums/administrators/1380-zimbra-mailman-howto.html

We need all new users to be able to work off of a central contact list that needs to be maintained by a non admin user.
    Untill /forums/administrators/12247-non-zimbra-external-users-gal.html & Let Staff Update: Bug 19429 - more detailed access rights to update the GAL
    (or Let Users Update: Bug 5953 - allow user to edit their own LDAP/GAL attributes)

For starters you could setup another external gal (with a setup that non-admins could edit).

Another method would be to make a sharemonkey@domain.com account & share an address book with everyone.
    Note: You'll be able to see this in the address books tab & search for it when selecting to: then 'personal & shared contacts'
    but just an fyi Bug 11141 - Need option to enable auto-complete from shared addressbooks

So far, when I share anything, I cannot figure out how the user can discover that this shared resource exists and that they can mount it into their address books, calendars, etc.
    Resend them an invite after they are migrated.
    OR
    As an admin you can mount it for them - it's called createMountpoint /forums/administrators/11087-solved-how-auto-share-calendars-new-staff-members.html
    OR/AND
    Be sure to vote for Bug 7473 - Share management and discovery
    Last edited by mmorse; 10-31-2007 at 03:21 PM.

Awesome. I think that summary post should make it into a sticky. Perhaps a stick post with the most commonly referred to problems/solutions./workarounds. I've searched for such a thing, but can't find that either.

Solved.

Well not quite stick worthy...but thanks for the compliment!
    But have you seen the Zimbra :: Wiki? -It's where most of the repeatedly accessed info on 'problems/solutions/workarounds' goes
    Last edited by mmorse; 10-31-2007 at 03:34 PM.

yes I have, but find it difficult to find information in.

We actually just started an effort to clean it up/organize it.

You'll notice that some pages have been marked 'protected' (like stuff that network edition customers would need really frequently).
    There will be a green banner "This is certified documentation and is protected for editing by Zimbra Employees only."

We toyed with having a bunch more like:
    -Official Documentation
    -Out of Date
    -Currently Being Revised
    -Unsupported Configuration
    -Quality Alert
    -Verification
    -Created/Edited Footer
    But you can just post all the necessary information near the top of the article anyways.

So far Christie Fremon has done an excellent job grabbing data from all corners of the zimbra internets
    Last edited by mmorse; 10-31-2007 at 03:49 PM.

Best of luck to Christie. Information taxonomy is one of the more difficult things to do. Perhaps the wiki needs social tags for registered users? For example this topic may be Administrator information for me, but another may consider it User information..

cheers and thanks for all the good info.