Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimlets all not working?

Default Zimlets all not working?

Hi folk! How do you go about debugging why a Zimlet isn't working? More importantly, -all- of them are not working. While running 4.5.8, I was using only the default Zimlets, and there was no date highlighting, no url highlighting, etc. When I upgraded to 4.5.9, I briefly saw the date highlighting (and others) working. However, I installed the yahoo maps Zimlet from the extras directory and now none of them work. I removed the yahoo maps one and everything is -still- not working. I don't see anything in the logs that's telling me what's going on. Any ideas? I've tried disabling and reenabling various zimlets with no success.
    The most addictive drug in the world is music.
    - The Lost Boyz

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

All the zimlets do work, I'd be surprised if you found problems with them. The usual reason for them not working is a browser extension/plug-in that conflicts with it. Undeploy then redeploy the zimlets (check the wiki if you need details on how to do that), restart Zimbra then try using a browser with no extensions/plug-ins etc and see if you still have the problem.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

*grin* I certainly did not mean to imply that the Zimlets don't work. In fact I left out an important weird-ism! They work -just dandy- with the install at work. I can see dates highlighted, urls, everything. All looks great! Then I tab over to my home install and nothing. Same with my wife's Firefox install that has nothing but the default setup. (mine has the web developer toolbar amongst other things) If it were the browser I would assume the same effect would occur with work's install though.

I tried restarting, checked to see if it was still busted, then undeploying each zimlet and redeploying, checked to see if it was still busted, then restarted the server again. Still not behaving. =( I mean overall I was just looking for some sort of logs that might tell me "tried to load date zimlet and failed", but I see nothing that indicates any reason why it would not work.

I'm baffled! =( Is there any other useful information I can provide?

I posted about this in another thread thinking it was only occuring to me with the 5.0 betas, when I was testing it out on a dev machine to make sure we wanted to switch over from my home brew system. 4.5 seemed to work at first. I'd almost describe the behavior like this ... right after a reinstall it works for a short period and just stops. Now I know that's about the most useless thing I can possibly say. =( But as far as I can see I have no solid errors/messages to report back!

Hrm. This looks kinda interesting though (just stumbled upon it)

mailbox.log.2007-10-27:2007-10-27 14:38:45,575 ERROR [PostStartupCrashRecovery] [] ObjectHandler - loadHandler caught exception
    mailbox.log.2007-10-27:com.zimbra.cs.object.ObjectHandlerException: null handler for com_zimbra_phone
    mailbox.log.2007-10-27:2007-10-27 14:38:45,578 ERROR [PostStartupCrashRecovery] [] ObjectHandler - loadHandler caught exception
    mailbox.log.2007-10-27:com.zimbra.cs.object.ObjectHandlerException: null handler for com_zimbra_url

Of course, that occured yesterday, not today. =/
    - The Lost Boyz

Now this is interesting. I just changed my theme to Steel (from Sky) and all of a sudden the Zimlets are working fine. Then I changed back to Sky and they're still working fine. ?? How bizarre! Any thoughts?
    - The Lost Boyz

And then I logged out and back in and they're busted again. I can easily reproduce it but don't think I'm providing useful real debugging info. =/
    - The Lost Boyz

Quote Originally Posted by jadestorm View Post
    And then I logged out and back in and they're busted again. I can easily reproduce it but don't think I'm providing useful real debugging info. =/
    Throw firebug into your firefox browser, and see if any errors pop up.

Great idea! I do have firebug installed though and no errors. =( Doesn't make any sense! You know, next time I see it happening (and am awake to do debugging) I'll do a packet trace and see if I'm literally receiving no tags or not. Just to make sure that the browser isn't mis-rendering it or something. Should I expect to see the mail arriving to my browser pre-parsed with hyperlinks where the highlighted things are? Or is that all adjusted on the client side via javascript?
    - The Lost Boyz

Looks like you might be hitting Bug 8711 - Custom Zimlets not found after upgrade

I've seen this a lot, in particular on RC1 and RC2, but we think we have it fixed now.

In the interm, undeploy all your zimlets.

Then, go to /opt/zimbra/tomcat/webapps/service/zimlet

and remove the files for each of the zimlets you have removed.

Then stop zimbra

cd /opt/zimbra/tomcat/work
    rm -rf *

start zimbra and redeploy

Crap. I thought that had it for a moment. So basically after performing those steps, if I log in it's working fine. I log out and back in, broken again. I can reproduce the full set of steps over and over. Your procedure here indeed seems to "reset something" and make it happy for one login worth.

I do see some pieces of /opt/zimbra that appear to be owned to root post-install. I figured that was expected, but do you think it's worth a chown -Rh zimbra:zimbra of the entire structure and seeing if that cheers it up?
    - The Lost Boyz

Quote Originally Posted by jadestorm View Post
    do you think it's worth a chown -Rh zimbra:zimbra of the entire structure and seeing if that cheers it up?
    Don't do that. Especially if you're running 4.5.9.

That will most defenetly break it.

When you say that they don't appear, do you get anything in the pane? A icon/text, anything?
    Last edited by jholder; 10-28-2007 at 01:30 PM.