Thread: Outlook Connector Port

Question Outlook Connector Port

Hello!

I was wondering if people know what the port numbers are needed for the Outlook Connector to connect back to the client machines are?

We are trying to isolate our zimbra box so we can more safely open up connections to it from the outside, while minimizing the risk to the rest of the LAN. So we have place it behind a firewall that allows all traffic to the Zimbra box, but only allows limited traffic from the zimbra box out to the rest of the network. (25, etc..)

This works fine for all our clients (web based, pop3, imap, etc..) *Except* for the Outlook clients that use the Outlook connector. Those clients actually have Outlook crash on startup. BUT, when we allow all traffic from the Zimbra box out, the Outlook connector clients work fine. So I was wondering if anyone knows what ports need to be opened up to allow the Zimbra box to communicate with the Outlook Connector?

Thanks for your time,
    -Nick

Quote Originally Posted by alte View Post
    So we have place it behind a firewall that allows all traffic to the Zimbra box, but only allows limited traffic from the zimbra box out to the rest of the network. (25, etc..)
    Nick,

I hope you mean you allow all traffic from your LAN, not from the public (outside the LAN) side of your firewall. Otherwise you are opening your box to portscanning, sniffing, and any intrusions that might come not only from hacks to Zimbra, but any security holes in the Linux distro upon which you are installed.

A safer topology to consider is to put your Zimbra box in a DMZ, use your firewall to DNAT ports 443 and 25 only to the Zimbra box's internal IP, and then open the necessary communication in-house (DMZ to LAN) from your Zimbra server. I don't have the Outlook connector so I can't comment on that part of your issue, but for the rest of Zimbra I have the packet filter rule from DMZ to LAN drop all, so only connections originating from the LAN get any help on the DMZ (therefore Zimbra) at all. But from the outside world I let nothing get at the box except 443 and 25. I'm not worried about my Zimbra server going bad, but I am worried about bad people getting at it.

As for the Outlook Connector issue, have you got any sort of live log on your firewall? Watch what packets are getting dropped or rejected and you'll probably have your answer.

Good luck,

Dan