Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this an IMAP bug or a Thunderbird one?

By the way, I thought I read somewhere that the junk folder is not taken into account on people's quotas, but I distinctly remember seeing a user's "space gauge" on the web client go down when the trash is emptied. . .???

Quote Originally Posted by dwmtractor View Post
    By the way, I thought I read somewhere that the junk folder is not taken into account on people's quotas, but I distinctly remember seeing a user's "space gauge" on the web client go down when the trash is emptied. . .???
    It does count against the quota. Otherwise people could just store stuff in their junk folder, evading the quota.

Quota's do not apply to the ham/spam accounts, but do apply to the junk folders if a quota limit is enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    It does count against the quota. Otherwise people could just store stuff in their junk folder, evading the quota.
    Sounds reasonable to me. I better just shorten the life of stuff living in the junk folder!

Maybe you should submit an enhancement request to the thunderbird folks. It doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult to implement.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dwmtractor View Post
    Ok, then if that's how IMAP works (and I am not at all surprised to discover this sort of insanity !), then shouldn't the quota limitation logic be modified to give the user a bit of a "bye" when trying to clean house? Seriously, what good are quota restrictions if by the time the user knows they're in trouble, they have to call me to fix it?

I hate to point to Micro$oft as evidence of how to do things right, but a message "this message is too big for the trash, do you want to just delete it?" is not such a bad idea if the alternative is not letting you delete it and not letting you clean up your mailboxes. . .