Thread: FC4>Debian4 & 4.5>5.0

Default FC4>Debian4 & 4.5>5.0

Hi

Anyone know where I can get a copy of the Zimbra 5 RC1 binary for Fedora Core 4?

I have a mail server running FC4 and Zimbra 4.5, which I want to change to Debian 4 and Zimbra 5 as soon as 5 is declared stable. Zimbra 5 RC1 had a binary for FC4 but I notice RC2 only has FC7.

I was hoping to update our installation on FC4 to Zimbra 5 before migrating the users and mailboxes over to Debian 4 running Zimbra 5, as I'm under the impression that that would be the easiest way to ensure database compatibility for things like tags and calenders, please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Thanks

Ray

Default FC4>Debian4 4.5>5.0

Hi

We are currently running Zimbra 4.5 on a Fedora Core 4 box. I want to rebuild this server with Debian 4.0 when Zimbra 5 is released as stable.

From what I read in the documentation it appears that backup and restore must be done with the same version of Zimbra.

Q1: Am I correct in believing this?

Q2: If the above statement is correct what would be the best approach to migrating the server from Fedora to Debian, given that the release candidate for Fedora Core 4 has been withdrawn with RC2?

I've set up a test server running Debian and Zimbra 5 RC1 and it's running well.

We are a small training provider with about 60 users on our system, I don't want to lose any mail or settings if at all possible.

Thanks for your help.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by mond View Post
    From what I read in the documentation it appears that backup and restore must be done with the same version of Zimbra.
    Q1: Am I correct in believing this?
    Yes, that is correct. Full backups may survive among minor versions, but certainly not 4.5 > 5.0 - though you should always make a new full after any minor upgrade like 4.5.9 > 4.5.10 as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mond View Post
    Q2: If the above statement is correct what would be the best approach to migrating the server from Fedora to Debian, given that the release candidate for Fedora Core 4 has been withdrawn with RC2?
    Man you're gonna have fun with versions....
    I would change operating systems, then upgrade zimbra (as it's harder to downgrade zimbra).

/blog/archives/2007/10/moving_zcs_to_another_server.html
    Be sure to use the exact same zimbra version & note the importance of step 3. (noting your uid can help as well)

I use the install.sh -s and copy of /opt/zimbra method; but you can still use a backup to get on debian, then upgrade.
    See bottom of: /docs/ne/latest/administration_guide/10_Backup_Restore.13.1.html
    Last edited by mmorse; 11-29-2007 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks Mike

I'll download a copy of the version we're using on Fedora for Debian, though I suspect it'll have to be the source as I don't think there's a binary for Zimbra 4.5 on Debian 4.

ATB

Ray
    Last edited by mmorse; 11-29-2007 at 09:27 AM. Reason: merged threads

Another option would be to use another platform as a go between...
    So like: zcs4.5 on FC4 > zcs4.5 on CentOS > upgrade to zcs5.0 final > switch to Debian4

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Another option would be to use another platform as a go between...
    So like: zcs4.5 on FC4 > zcs4.5 on CentOS > upgrade to zcs5.0 final > switch to Debian4
    Thanks again Mike, it's good to have options. I can't afford to lose any mail.

I'll probably make an image of the existing server with G4L before I start anything on the main box, just in case.

ATB

Ray