Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Deleting email addresses with mixed case characters from distribution lists

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Deleting email addresses with mixed case characters from distribution lists

    Hi,

    I don't seem to be able to delete email addresses containing upper case characters from distribution lists, either using the web interface or zmprov.

    For example, if I try to delete Abd@example.com, I get error:

    ERROR: account.NO_SUCH_MEMBER (non-existent members: abd@example.com in distribution list: list@example.com)

    (It seems to be changing everything to lowercase and then failing when this doesn't match).

    Is this a bug or something I'm doing? I couldn't see it in bugzilla, but perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough.

    As a workaround, If I just delete the entry from the LDAP directory, will the list be updated correctly (or is it stored somewhere else too?)?

    Thanks,
    Rob

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,027
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    That's just weird enough I had to go try it. I went into my admin and created a distribution list "Test@mydomain.net" and added some addresses to it. When I saved the list it changed the case for me, so that on the list it showed as "test@mydomain.net." So I can't replicate your problem because I can't get the account to create.

    I'm on 4.5.10, so this may be a fix from earlier, although I'm not finding anything in bugzilla.

    So how did you get the name in there to start with?

    Nevertheless you may be able to delete it from the command line:
    Code:
    zmprov ddl listname@domain.com
    Since this is at the Linux command line it should accept whatever case you give it; try your abd example in both case formats and see what sticks.

    You can find a full reference on command line utilities here.

    Cheers,

    Dan

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Hi Dan,

    Thanks for replying.

    The problem was with deleting members with upper case characters from the list rather than deleting lists with uppercase characters. The lists were originally created via the command line interface (when they were migrated from out previous product), perhaps had I added them in the web interface they would have changed to lower case... Although this is incorrect as the local part of an email address is case sensitive (although I've never seen this enforced).

    I managed to get round this in the end by deleting the whole list and then recreating it with the correct members - although this isn't exactly ideal...

    Rob

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,027
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Rob,

    You should not have needed to delete the whole list. The zmprov command reference to which I referred in my last email has options for adding and deleting members from a list as well. However you may have identified a bug in the web UI--if the CLI allows mixed-case and the web UI, because it forces everything to lower case, can't handle mixed-case previously created by the CLI, that's definitely a problem.

    Dan

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Hi Dan,

    The original error was from the command line interface - the same happens when I tried it through the web interface.

    I wondered what would happen if I updated the ldap object directly - but wasn't brave enough to try it In the end it seemed easiest to delete and then recreate the list.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,027
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robh View Post
    Hi Dan,

    The original error was from the command line interface - the same happens when I tried it through the web interface.
    Looking back I see you did say "either web interface or zmprov." My error

    Quote Originally Posted by robh View Post
    I wondered what would happen if I updated the ldap object directly - but wasn't brave enough to try it In the end it seemed easiest to delete and then recreate the list.
    Playing it safe. . .I'll not argue with that!

    If you can reconstruct enough detail it might be worth filing a bug on this. Do you think you could outline steps to replicate this? It would depend if you can re-create the situation on an existing install or whether it's only an issue with importing settings from another server, but if you can outline enough detail it would be advisable to file a bug.

    Thanks Rob!

    Dan

Similar Threads

  1. Distribution lists & email
    By cirrus_blue in forum Administrators
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 12:45 PM
  2. need advice on configuring zimbra to work with fax server
    By pheonix1t in forum Administrators
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 07:46 PM
  3. upgrade to 4.0.3 antispam does'nt work
    By lucanannipieri in forum Administrators
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 02:56 AM
  4. Email formats on Distribution lists
    By dquattle in forum Users
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2006, 08:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •