Thread: Busted Debian installation causing problems

Unhappy Busted Debian installation causing problems

Late night last night working on this one, I eventually gave up and restored to a backup and now I'm looking for options.

My Zimbra installation used to run on OpenSuse 10.0 and a while back I moved it to a Debian 4.0 platform using the Debian 3.1 build as discussed in numerous threads here. Then I upgraded that to version 5 beta 3. This all went ok, but when I upgraded to RC 1 or RC 2 using the real Debian versions, it all went to hell.

This seems to be a problem with the debian version, and again, there are threads discussing it and bugs logged, but nothing in those seemed to help, so I decided to get rid of the debian version to solve the problem.

I built a new box running Ubuntu LTS and tried to move the install to it, this is where it got weird.

The debian version is beta3, but zmcontrol -v shows it to be RC2, so at first I installed RC2 on the Ubuntu machine, copied the existing installation over it and then ran the installer again. This didnt work.

So I removed everything and upgraded the debian install to RC2 (after modifying the zmupgrade.pl file as discussed), installed a fresh RC2 on Ubuntu, copied the debian version on top of it and refreshed the install by installing RC2 again, this also, did not work.

By 'didnt work' I mean that seemingly Debian specific problem where zmprov, and the majority of the zimbra engine cannot talk to itself using soap, so the admin panel is inaccessible, the webmail login page errors and most of the tools refuse to work.

At half two in the morning I gave up.

My current thinking it to make a clean install of RC2 on Ubuntu and use a mail client to shift the mail over. This is my home server, so although there's a lot of mail, there's only a few accounts, so it's doable but I'll lose the tags on the various mails, and I'd like to keep those. I figure I can move the addressbooks using a csv export/import and an ical export for the calendars. Not ideal, but an option.

So, to the point, is there any other way I can do this? The debian version is clearly a little messed up, and the fact that it's an old installation that has already been moved from Suse, cant be helping it.

I'd really appreciate thoughts and suggestions on this. Thanks.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

hi

I would start by trying to get the debian4 rc2 version working OK. Could you post the zmsetup.log output and we'll see if we can see where it went wrong? you're doing the workaround install.sh -s and hacking the zmupgrade.pm file OK?

I'll have to try again to get that file, I have a few copies of the zimbra folder and a few tar'd versions and I'm unsure at this point which is which!

I think I did the edit right, install the files using ./install.sh -s and then take the isInstalled function from zmsetup.pl and paste it into zmupgrade.pm and then run zmsetup.pl right?

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

that's right, yup. seems to have worked fine for me and few other people, give it another go if you can and paste the log, see if we can figure out what goes wrong.

The Debian system is really slow and short of ram, so I'll build a temporary debian box and use that for the testing, I'll post details of the log as soon as I get them, and with luck I can get this sorted out this weekend, cheers dijichi2.

Well, I had problems getting the new system working so I went back to the live one, everything in the log seems ok, but right near the end, after installing the zimlets, it tries to initialise documents and the following appears in the logs:

checking isEnabled zimbra-store
    zimbra-store is enabled
    Initializing Documents...
    COS attribute retrieved for COS default: zimbraFeatureNotebookEnabled=TRUE
    *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmprov mc default zimbraFeatureNotebookEnabled TRUE
    ERROR: zclient.IO_ERROR (invoke cannot determine soap protocol in reply: <html><head><meta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"/><title>Error 503 SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE</title></head><body><h2>HTTP ERROR: 503</h2><pre>SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE</pre><p>RequestURI=/service/admin/soap/</p><p><i><small><a href="http://jetty.mortbay.org">Powered by jetty://</a></small></i></p></body></html>, server: localhost) (cause: com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapParseException cannot determine soap protocol in reply: <html><head><meta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"/><title>Error 503 SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE</title></head><body><h2>HTTP ERROR: 503</h2><pre>SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE</pre><p>RequestURI=/service/admin/soap/</p><p><i><small><a href="http://jetty.mortbay.org">Powered by jetty://</a></small></i></p></body></html>)

Followed by a few more errors of this style.

zmcontrol status shows:
    antispam Running
    antivirus Running
    imapproxy Running
    ldap Running
    logger Running
    mailbox Running
    mta Running
    snmp Running
    spell Running
    stats Running

zmcontrol -v shows
    Release 5.0.0_RC2_1745.DEBIAN4.0 DEBIAN4.0 FOSS edition

But the webclient still shows the zclient/IO error and running zmprov gives this:

ERROR: zclient.IO_ERROR (invoke cannot determine soap protocol in reply: <html><head><meta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"/><title>Error 503 SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE</title></head><body><h2>HTTP ERROR: 503</h2><pre>SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE</pre><p>RequestURI=/service/admin/soap/</p><p><i><small><a href="http://jetty.mortbay.org">Powered by jetty://</a></small></i></p></body></html>, server: localhost) (cause: com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapParseException cannot determine soap protocol in reply: <html><head><meta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"/><title>Error 503 SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE</title></head><body><h2>HTTP ERROR: 503</h2><pre>SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE</pre><p>RequestURI=/service/admin/soap/</p><p><i><small><a href="http://jetty.mortbay.org">Powered by jetty://</a></small></i></p></body></html>)

This is the same problem as always, soap requests just dont work.

Ok, so I installed a fresh RC2 onto the Ubuntu server and copied the not working debian /opt/zimbra on top of it. Then I ran install.sh -s on the Ubuntu server and reran the zmsetup.pl script.

As it neared the end and began starting the services, I'm prompted for a password. I've no idea, so I just press enter, the log shows:

Starting logger...Done.
    Starting mailbox...Done.
    Starting imapproxy...FAILED
    nginx is not running
    memcached is running

Starting antispam...Done.
    Starting antivirus...Done.
    Starting snmp...Done.
    Starting spell...Done.
    Starting mta...Done.
    Starting stats...Done.
    done.

Which looks less than great, but it keeps going, then, just I was thinking it would work. the zmprov errors show again. Just the same as on Debian.

The new server has 1.5gig ram and is faster than the old one, it should work fine.