Thread: Second Network Card

Default Second Network Card

Hi everyone,

I recently dropped a second network card on my Zimbra machine (Fedora 7) and modified my /etc/sysconfig/network entry and made sure the original network device eth0 was set as the GATEWAYDEV=eth0 and restarted Zimbra su -l zimbra then zmcontrol stop zmcontrol start. Now for the problem, before this change I could navigate to the external IP address of the machine log in and send mail no problem. I still am recieving mail without an issue but when I log in with the internal IP address through webmail unless the domain I'm sending to is local, the server keeps telling me that the address is rejected and doesn't send the email.

How can I fix this? I am about to test and see if I am able to send mail through the external(original) IP address via webmail, I'm pretty sure that it will work that way though.

Thanks for any help/advice

Ok, so it doesn't work with the external IP address(original IP address) any longer. I recently ran across this problem when I changed the IP address and I was forced to do a clean install to 'fix' the issue, however I don't want to go through my import process a 3rd time
    Last edited by esilva; 12-17-2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: updateing info

Zimbra will only bind to the ip/hostname that's in your hosts file. Then it looks to DNS. Have you looked at the split DNS article in the wiki?

My guess would be that you need to update your ip in your hosts file, and your DNS records.

(that is, if your IP changes)

thanks for the reply but I managed to resolve the issue. I simply added my local network subnet to the trusted network list in the configuration for the domain and made sure that my default route was in fact the external network card's gateway on the linux side of things. Accessing the webmail interface via the external IP address simply did not work because Zimbra doesn't seem to like you doing an /etc/init.d/network restart while it is running, that's why my second test failed. However after doing a zmcontrol stop then start that issue was resolved. I now plan to drop a tertiary nic into the box so that my dorm(resnet) can access the zimbra box locally aswell. It makes a huge difference because our upload bandwidth is crap Hope this helps anyone else experiencing the same issue.

-edwin