Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instant Messaging

Hybrid View

Default Instant Messaging

So with the impending release of 5.0 does anyone know if the (beta) IM service that is included will be externally accessible using Pidgin / Adium and what server they are basing it on, although it is nice having it built into the web client, it would be better for where I work if I can just open the relevant port on the server and have everyone connect to the server using an IM client.

(also means I can then easily get away with blocking all external IM servers)

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Page 3 of the Release Notes - "the interoperability to connect to AOL & MSN has been removed". The only port availble on the IM server is 5222.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

So it's just a regular Jabber port open? Do users have to connect with user@domain? And does it move to 5223 for SSL servers?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Page 3 of the Release Notes - "the interoperability to connect to AOL & MSN has been removed". The only port availble on the IM server is 5222.
    I don't want users to be able to use the in built IM server to connect to AOL / MSN, I would like to be able to use adium or pidgin to connect to the IM server that is part of 5.0 so that users who use outlook / mail don't have to use the webmail client to use the IM.

I've connected using GAIM/Pidgin without a problem. It even logs the chats to your Chats folder.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DougWare View Post
    I've connected using GAIM/Pidgin without a problem. It even logs the chats to your Chats folder.

Doug
    oh cool, what magic spell did you cast to make it happen ?

I've got ports 5222 / 5223 open to the server and I'm using a jabber connection which is the email address and nothing seems to be happening...

I didn't have to do anything special. Just entered the username/password/server into and it logged right in. Is IM enabled for that user?

Doug

I don't know the answer. I've only been using Zimbra for a few weeks now, but the IM setup in Pidgin was seamless. I just added a XMPP account and it worked.

Doug

hmmm, suspect something isn't running on the server if I telnet to 5222 (or 5223) I get no response...

Unhappy IM No workee

Ok, so I know it is only Beta, but I would expect it to work, looks like instant messaging is dead on my server at the moment, done a zmcontrol stop / start in case a service wasn't running, but still no dice.

Logging into the webclient, all users have the IM tab (and show as online unless they chose otherwise) however logging in as two different users via the webclient in separate VM's I can't send messages between them and I can't add users to the buddy lists.... something clearly isn't working.