Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: when i must upgrade for security reasons?

Martin,

Just to validate that you're not going crazy--I see the same behavior on the links. SourceForge is totally unhelpful if you're trying to download 4.5.8, and the downloads page doesn't have 4.5.anything.

I'm sure somebody in the Zimbra world will be able to help you with this once the sun rises a little higher on the West coast, but as of this moment it's definitely not helpful if you need the later 4.x releases. Sorry for the ulcer!

Dan

Actually I was really starting to reread the download site over and over again.

It's just really strange to me to provide "very old" downloads and remove "old" downloads. Guess after all it's just some new-years cleanup that was a bit too effective

But just to clarify one thing. . .according to the FOSS release notes:
    You can upgrade from ZCS version 4.5.x to ZCS Open Source Edition 5.0.
    This means you do NOT have to go stepwise through all the 4.5.x editions in order to upgrade to 5.x as long as you are on SOME 4.5.x release. Therefore, really the only reason you should need any of the later versions is if you need to restore a backup having already been on that version.

This should save you both time and some headaches--I'd hate to have to stare at the number of upgrade processes it'd take otherwise.

Cheers,

Dan

That's true. Wouldn't hurt to go to 4.5.6 at a min first, then go to 5.0. Either way, you should be okay.

>>> http://www.zimbra.com/community/downloads_previous.html
    Getting this thread back on track...Cedbl let us know if you have any more questions on those upgrades/platform changes.
    Cheers,

Talking

Thanks everybody: now i find links!

Ok i synthetize my questions:
    1)What about:

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    A solution to get the FOSS 4.5.8+ builds is under construction & tracked by internal RFE 22314.
    Can i use 4.5.8 4.5.9 4.5.10 or not? There are risks in use them?

2) of corse every update patch some old bugfix, but is possible to find new bug in the new version (this is normal for every software) so i would like to know when there are security reason like: bufferoverflow, ssl bug etc.. that can exploit my zimbra box. Ok i can read in Zimbra Product Portal but the point is that if i am in a stable situation (my user access with apop access) and i am not looking for enanche functionality or my use of zimbra doesn't fall in particular bugs i would like to distinguish when is it critical to upgrade and when i can plan without anxiety

Please help me to understand these points.
    i use zimbra with big satisfaction but i have to balance upgrade and production environment (as all administrators)

We always suggest that you use the most recent GA version that you possibly can.
    It's a lot of customized instances of a serious collection of open-source software packages - OpenLDAP, MySQL, Apache, Tomcat, Jetty(5.0), Postfix, Lucene, Verity, ClamAV, SpamAssassin, DSPAM (though off by default) AMaViS/Amavisd-new, Aspell, James/Sieve, Perdition, NGINX(5.0), etc.
    The engineers balance including new versions of the above with security & enhancements in mind.
    If there ever are critical exploits in these apps it's announced it in the forums & NE users are contacted accordingly.
    For instance-this wasn't zimbra's fault, but perdition had a flaw: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/announc...ploit-bug.html -solved in 4.5.10
    Last edited by mmorse; 01-04-2008 at 01:19 AM.

First post in this thread says you were on 3.x? I would say it's at least time to get on 4.5.10 or even anything in the 4.5 series.
    EDIT: Re-read some prior posts & noticed you did get on 4.0.2 then 4.5.1 so that's good to hear

We all certainly understand if you like to wait out new releases for a month to see if any issues arise; been there, upgraded some software to soon, got the t-shirt.
    Keep in mind you'll have to track all the versions of those apps I listed above to see if they have any issues themselves as time goes on.
    Anti-Virus stuff alone probably needs to be updated - a year difference can be huge in that regard.

5.0 does have a TON of enhancements in both new features and performance.
    For starters it makes the jump to jetty: /blog/archives/2007/12/why_we_switched_to_jetty.html

Just to skim the surface
    -and yes I know you're all POP right now so feel free to ignore these next one's- some new stuff includes:
    /blog/archives/2007/11/50_coolness_part_2.html
    /blog/archives/2007/08/shared_folders.html
    /blog/archives/2007/08/zimbra_briefcase_1.html
    /blog/archives/2007/07/izimbra.html
    /blog/archives/2007/03/lazy_loading.html
    Tasks, IM, etc, etc & the list goes on - check out the Hosted Demo

There have been plenty of IMAP & POP updates as well: Zimbra Product Portal Release 5.0
    If you go here you can select bugs/RFEs by component & select different versions etc: Search for bugs - Advanced
    Once again, take care & don't forget to make backups before you upgrade!
    Last edited by mmorse; 01-04-2008 at 01:44 AM. Reason: 4.5.1

Default thanks

hi
    i appreciate your answers.
    I'm not very good in english but thanks thanks thanks
    See you soon
    bye
    Last edited by cedbl; 01-04-2008 at 01:20 AM. Reason: my english!!

Happy upgrading to whatever version you may decide to 'rest at'