Thread: Loadbalancing question

Default Loadbalancing question

Hello list,

and happy new year to you all!

I just finished setting up a multiple server install (version 4.5.9 on Debian Etch) and am testing the loadbalancing functionality. I followed the instructions of the 'Zimbra OS Multi-Server Install.pdf' file. From the tests I conclude that things are not working as I expected.

Here some info on my setup:
    I have one ldap server, two mta servers and two mailbox servers. All these servers are on the same LAN with private IP space. A name server is running on the ldap server (the LAN name server) providing name services for the private IP space. The domain name on the LAN is domain.nu. The 5 servers have the following DNS names (A records on the name servers):

- ldap.domain.nu
    - mta1.domain.nu
    - mta2.domain.nu
    - mail1.domain.nu
    - mail2.domain.nu

From the install I have two domains in Zimbra from the server names: mail1.domain.nu and mail2.domain.nu. I have created a domain 'domain.nu' in the management interface because I want to have mail addresses like user@domain.nu.

I have created a virtual host 'mail.domain.nu' for the 'domain.nu' domain (as specified in the documentation). I also set zmlocalconfig -e zimbra_auth_always_send_refer=true on both the mail servers. The LAN name server also has two A records for mail.domain.nu (using the same ip adresses as the mail1 and mail2 hosts).

Between this LAN with the Zimbra servers and the internet I have a redundant firewall/loadbalance cluster. This cluster provides one public IP address loadbalanced across the two mailbox servers. I run DNS for the domain 'domain.nu' on the internet myself. The public IP address has an A record for mail.domain.nu.

So far a brief description of my setup. Now what happens?

When I type in the mail.domain.nu URL I get the Zimbra login page (I even got the redirection from http to https working). But after typing the username and password Zimbra switches to the URL mail1.domain.nu which is not known on the internet (only on the internal LAN as described above). So a login is not possible.

Is this expected behaviour, as it should? I didn't expect this. I would expect Zimbra to use the virtual hostname. I could try to cname mail1.domain.nu on the public name server and find out what happens then but this should not be the solution I expect.

Many thanx for any pointers/remarks on this.

Regards,
    Lars.

Hello list,

tried the public cname trick, but this doesn't work either. I have a feeling that Zimbra needs public IP addresses for this kind of setup ... (?)

Cheers,
    Lars.