Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: [SOLVED] Re: CentOS Official Support

dijichi2 I certainly respect your efforts for the zimbra community with Solaris etc, however I think you are way off base with your RHEL argument.

RH do not develope their product entirely, in reality they do not have the staff numbers to actually develop all the packages which they package for release. (Yes I know that employ a lot of people that develop and put back into the community, however RHEL is still a derived work from the community efforts and of other vendors)

RH's business model is to offer customers paid subscriptions to support, training and professional services for a product thats beens fine tuned but is still based on community development.

No one has the right to call CentOS users Pirates, after all if you get to the nitty gritty RH are profitting off alot of peoples work without paying them.

Anyone that thinks that way has obviously doesn't understand the idea of communtiy development and open source.

Back on topic, it is obvious that we have the interest of the CentOS team in this thread and Zimbra would be well advised to release the information about this so called CentOS bug thats not in RHEL to them so it can be either fixed or have CentOS name cleared of all charges :-)
    Last edited by langs; 01-09-2008 at 05:46 PM.

This i what I like to see, I think it speaks volumes for the people at Zimbra when they will actively engage the community and NE customers to take on board these kind of concerns and issues.

I am also glad my beloved CentOS is off the hook. Thank you to the CentOS guys for swinging past to help resolve this issue. Like I said earlier "And as far as I am concerned the version of centos I use being 4.5 has 100% upstream base compatibility with RHEL, like ANY distro you mess with it by adding 3rd party packages you can and likely will break it" which seems to be the case here.

Can the announcement John made now also be edited to reflect the true nature of this issue as it still says the issue is with CentOS.

Remember to Vote for official support people.
    Last edited by langs; 01-09-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2 View Post
    Those of you trying to save 200 quid by running a freeware non-commercial OS for Zimbra as your main communications platform for your respective company, are completely bonkers IMHO.
    I find this amusing in light of another employee recommending Ubuntu as an alternative.

And of course it's not 200 quid. It's 200 quid per box, per year for the next to useless web support with two business day turn around even for severity one issues. I don't consider anything less their premium level (24x7, 1 hour response for severity one) meaningful. Not sure what the price on your side of the pond is, but that's a $1299 subscription over here. Double that if you want support for clustering, quad processor boxes or unlimited virtualized guests.

Quote Originally Posted by hughesjr View Post
    diluted,

Probably not. The main issue (as I understand it) that people have been talking about is one of a perl module (Scalar::Util).

If you can do this:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...html#post72213

That is, run the /tmp/system.pl file that quanha has shown there, then you should be OK.

Thanks. I checked that out and it works fine on CentOS 5, with perl 5.8.8.

Appreciate the pointer in that direction, I was beginning to panic!

I cannot recall Zimbra saying they would be deflecting resources? Zimbra has also said that they would help their customers migrate to a supported platform if they are running the NE version.

I doubt Zimbra would put the FOSS version user infront of a paying NE customer. The FOSS edition is supported by the community and I believe the Zimbra staff help when they have available free time.

Remember, the FOSS community tend to upgrade before the NE users and help to iron out little buglets. I imagine this is why Zimbra offer their help to FOSS version users.

Think it through, everyone is helping each other. Its a community
    Last edited by uxbod; 01-10-2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: typos