Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reaction to Announcement Concerning CentOS

I would also think that testing and certifying CentOS would require a minimal amount of effort on Zimbra's part, with it being so very close to RHEL.

Centos provides RHEL's quality without the huge price, especially if you're doing clustering.

Ubuntu really isn't ready for the enterprise market, let alone the enterprise server market. Don't get me wrong, I love Ubuntu on my desktop at home, but that's where it belongs. Lack of Commvault support alone is a deal breaker for us.

Definitely voting for the bug!

p24t:

CentOS changed nothing ... the CentOSPlus repo is and addon repo (just like RHWAS is for RHEL-4)

Both of these do not work, in exactly the same way.

Zimbra had no problem supporting the RHEL-4 guy who installed RHWAS, and they found the problem.

CentOS (in this case) is exactly the same as RHEL ... and CentOSPlus exactly the same as RHWAS (wrt to perl versions).

What is not exactly the same is what the people with the problem were told.

If someone had installed a new version of perl (that was unsupported) on Ubuntu, they would have been helped find the problem, not told to use a different OS.

That is my problem with this.

__proto__:

They would get support from the CentOS community ... just like all the other FOSS versions

Even for the NE version, the people who use CentOS could have purchased support from upstream if they wanted too ... and they can later if they prefer that.

Who supports the Ubuntu installs ... that is an addon cost.

Also, there are several companies that provide CentOS Support ... search the web

hmmm ...

It seems not all Mail Server providers see things exactly the same way:

Breaking News--Xandros Revs Scalix Messaging with 11.3 Release

Looks an awful lot like someone was reading posts on this board when writing that press release

Might an official build be more likely? Only Zimbra knows for sure

its sad ..

Default I have to agree with p24t

In theory, CentOS is already supported in that RH is supported. Any CentOS specific problems that might occur are the fault of CentOS for not maintaining 100% RH compatibility.

That said, I don't think this applies to the Perl issue as this was a different issue and it sounds like the Zimbra folks made a mistake, which they then rectified and apologized for. What more can you ask for?

As for Ubuntu, well, I still don't see it as a server OS....yet.
    That and I'm in agreement with Linus with regards to Gnome, and Kubuntu is a second class citizen among the Ubuntu crowd.
    Plus I'm just used to quality, integrated administration tools like YaST. In fact it's the primary reason I use SLES/SLED and OpenSUSE for most tasks. Not that they are perfect, but they are well put together and consistent in administration.

On a side note, I'd like to see someone do a Zimbra appliance with a well written web-ui to configure everything on it.
    (Hmm...have to Google that, maybe it already exists...)

Quote Originally Posted by KLGNT View Post
    In theory, CentOS is already supported in that RH is supported.

What more can you ask for?
    Them not to tell our users to use a different OS if they have a problem maybe ... that doesn't seem like support to me.

Quote Originally Posted by KLGNT View Post
    In theory, CentOS is already supported in that RH is supported. Any CentOS specific problems that might occur are the fault of CentOS for not maintaining 100% RH compatibility.
    I would put it more to the point that Zimbra releases a package that is COMPATIBLE with CentOS, but it's become quite clear in the last few days that it's not officially SUPPORTED on CentOS.

In reality, will they need to create a completely separate build for CentOS? Probably not, but they will definitely need to commit resources to QA against it - just on the off chance that there is a binary difference between the packages at the time of an individual release.

As with all businesses, it's up to Zimbra to prioritize their resources to features and bug fixes that make the most business sense for their business. In this case, I think they may have a number of paying customers that are requesting this official support. Will this be enough, who knows . . . in the mean time, I'll keep my fingers crossed and watch the votes on Bug 23487 - Official Support for ZCS Network Edition on CentOS roll in.

I think the one thing that has been pointed out, but not specifically said in such a way, is that there may be an opportunity for a delay in the time between a bug being fixed in RHEL and the same bug fix making to to CentOS (and the the other way around quite possibly) - which could explain some potential for binary differences . . . but I'll let the experts hash that one out.

Robert
    Last edited by rwc101010; 01-10-2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Typo: 'was' replaced with 'way' . . .

Quote Originally Posted by hughesjr View Post
    Them not to tell our users to use a different OS if they have a problem maybe ... that doesn't seem like support to me.
    And that error has been acknowledged with a very clear apology:
    To the CentOS crowd: Thanks for keeping us engaged in the conversation. We apologize for initially declaring that CentOS was the root of the issue. The issue is NOT CentOS, but rather Perl. We were incorrect to jump to the conclusion quickly.

Y
    our earlier post suggested that you have accepted John's apology:
    I am very happy with the Zimbra team's troubleshooting with this issue though, they did a good job and I appreciate the second announcement very much. This is not in any way to be negative to the zimbra developers, but CentOS needs to be legitimized as a supported OS.
    I actually hoped that particular bit of mudslinging could be put to rest when I read the tone of both John Holder's and Johnny Hughes' posts.

Clearly, customer demand, rated as votes for the bug and paying customers requesting support, will drive whether/when Zimbra begins official QA against CentOS. Rants on already-apologized and forgiven errors will have no positive effect on this process, nor will snide suggestions that Zimbra customers look elsewhere.

And _proto_, although I am not a Zimbra employee I feel quite confident that Zimbra has no partnership to push RedHat. . .if they did, why would other non-RedHat, free OS distros be supported?

You guys had a legitimate beef--and Zimbra employees (at least three of them) have acknowledged that beef. What's left to flog on this horse?

This is my personal opinion, NOT prompted by anyone at Zimbra, but I really think this thread (and others with similar rants) deserves a rest unless/until anyone has new information--as opposed to restating opinions--to offer.