Update: revised entries in my postfix_header_checks.in
My fix described above failed when an iPhone user e-mailed to my dist. list and respondents clicking Reply ended up replying to just the sender and not the list.
Looking at his message headers, I found the message sent from an iPhone had an informal name before the email address in the "To: " field:
To: List Nickname <firstname.lastname@example.org>
So I changed & simplified my regexp rule from this:
to just this line:
if /^To: <email@example.com>/
/^To: <firstname.lastname@example.org>/ PREPEND Reply-To: email@example.com
The 'dot-star' matches any number of any characters, and I put it before and after the email address, so it also matches the angle-bracketed email address. That fixed the problem for me.
/^To: .*firstname.lastname@example.org.*/ PREPEND Reply-To: email@example.com
Of course, this would result in unwanted matches for email addresses like:
but my few sites have very few users, so the risk of false matches is low, for me.
postfix fix for reply-to-list fails now
This fix appears to fail, now, after upgrading to
Zimbra Release 6.0.9_GA_2686.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 FOSS edition on Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS
Trying to figure out why my changes to postfix_header_checks.in aren't being respected anymore...
Reply to distribution list and not the sender
FYI, after upgrading to Zimbra Release 7.1.1_GA_3196.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS edition on Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS, I applied the previously-mentioned change to postfix_header_checks.in and replies to distribution lists go to the DL and not the sender, as expected.
Reply-To distribution list still not working
I recently upgraded my ZCS Open Source to Release 8.0.2.GA.5569.UBUNTU12.64 UBUNTU12_64 FOSS edition.
Originally Posted by cwall64
I was excited to find support for Reply-To Distribution Lists in the Zimbra Admin GUI.
But after testing it, I've found it still doesn't work as expected for recipients who are not Zimbra users.
If the recipient is using something like Yahoo! email, their reply still goes only to the sender.
If the recipient is using the Zimbra client, their reply goes to the DL, as expected.
So I turned off the Reply-To Distribution List features in my DLs in the Zimbra Admin GUI, and re-enabled my hack to the file,
as described in
The result is almost what I expect, except that now non-Zimbra recipients get duplicated DL addresses when they reply to messages sent to the DL.
So their reply message now gets sent twice to the DL. Grrrr.
A subsequent responder using Zimbra client or an iPhone strips off the second of the duplicated addresses, but other responders still continue to send twice to the DL address.
this issue has been fixed, but apparently only for recipients who are Zimbra client users.
So I'm now trying to figure out how to make my hack detect when the DL has already been prepended-to and not prepend it again in the postfix_header_checks.in file.
This seems to be a lot harder than it should be after all of these years administering a Zimbra email server...