Thread: local.cf vs. local.cf.in

Hybrid View

Default local.cf vs. local.cf.in

Sorry this is kind of an entry level question, but...

In the Wiki pages on SpamAssassin, I see it recommends using /opt/zimbra/conf/salocal.cf.in for SA customization. Meanwhile, in many of the forum posts, some of the more authoritative poster on the topic seem to mention customizing /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin/local.cf.

Is one a better choice than the other for any particular reason?

I hate to say it, but spam seems to be the place Zimbra needs the most work. I feel like I'm getting the worst of both worlds... I'm having to go in and do a lot of manual management of SA & postfix, but it's in a packaged piece of software so I'm having to muck around with files with often-mysterious locations/interactions and that get re-written with each upgrade.

Even if there was just a place in the gui where you could manually enter specific variables for postfix/amavis/sa, that would be a big improvement!

always change the .in files because they are used to build the .cf files. If you change the .cf files and then restart zimbra the changes will be overwriten by the .cf.in file

I guess the confusion here may be that they are separate files that possibly do the same thing? conf/spamassassin/local.cf doesn't seem to have a .in equivalent. But as I read the Wiki, it even seems to be inconsistent which of the two files should be edited...

Yeah, I'm a bit confused by this as well. I have /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin/local.cf, but no local.cf.in. Do I just need to create this? Where do I put it?

Easiest thing to do is create your own company specific .cf under /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin eg. mycompany.cf. That will override the default SA settings and means it would be persistent across upgrades aswell

Ok, thanks for that. So for this one change, I need to add:

score FH_DATE_PAST_20XX 0.0

If I create and add this one to mycompany.cf, is that the only 1 line that I need in there? Or does that file need other entries as well?