Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After 4.5.9 -> 5.0.1 Firefox stops working

Default After 4.5.9 -> 5.0.1 Firefox stops working

Hi,

I upgraded our Mac OS X 4.5.9NE -> 5.0.1NE Zimbra install over this past weekend, and it seems that Firefox can't login to Zimbra any more. The Zimbra authentication window appears, but after entering a valid username/password, the browser 'thinks' for around 20-30s, and then just displays a white blank page. There is no intermediary splash screen (the one that suggests trying the html version if one's machine is slow/old, etc) either.

I've tried Firefox on both Mac and Windows machines. I've tried 'Default' 'Ajax' and 'HTML' versions with the same result.

Interestingly, it works fine with Safari 3.x on both Mac and Windows. IE6 also works on Windows.

Looking at the /opt/zimbra/log/ folder, I can't see anything of interest in the mailbox.log, or the audit.log. I can't see anything of note in /var/log/zimbra.log either.

Any suggestions where to go from here?

cheers!

Additional data:

- Can login to the admin ui with firefox

- When I enter a bad password on purpose, I get the same behaviour

- Installed firebug and see no obvious errors in the page code

- Of note - I did modify
    /opt/zimbra/jetty/webapps/zimbra/skins/_base/base/skin.properties
    and
    /opt/zimbra/jetty/webapps/zimbra/skins/_base/base2/skin.properties

for branding and suspect maybe something went bad there. I only modified the LogoURL parameter though...

Have tried changing it manually back to default and restarting but no luck. Can someone confirm that my cksum's on these two files match theirs?

Code:
    $ cksum /opt/zimbra/jetty/webapps/zimbra/skins/_base/base/skin.properties 
    2798101473 39042 /opt/zimbra/jetty/webapps/zimbra/skins/_base/base/skin.properties

$ cksum /opt/zimbra/jetty/webapps/zimbra/skins/_base/base2/skin.properties 
    4244211568 41391 /opt/zimbra/jetty/webapps/zimbra/skins/_base/base2/skin.properties

More investigations...

Back in the 4.x days I implemented the workaround outlined here to redirect http requests to the https service

Redirect http to https - Zimbra :: Wiki

I note that in 5.x there is a new web server mode called 'redirect' instead of 'mixed'. I wonder if this might have something to do with it? When I changed Zimbra to 'http' mode solely, I am able to access Zimbra with Firefox in http mode. I changed the mode to 'redirect' and restarted the server, and then we're back to Firefox still not loading the page.

I wonder if the migration of the Login.jsp from my edited version (as per the above wiki page) might have been mangled or something?

Unfortunately since i'm dealing with HTTPS traffic, I'm not easily able to tell much about the traffic between firefox and the server.

I have the same problem, only to make it more fun safari only works for a bit before giving up, having to use IE under parallels to make changes on the server, not ideal
    Last edited by davidfsmith; 01-21-2008 at 05:11 AM. Reason: missed out the "fun"

Go this back from support...

Logging into the AdminUI with IE, go to "Admin Extensions", right-click on "zimbra_xmbxsearch" and select "undeploy".

Then try again with firefox...

Worked for me anyway
    ;-)

Thanks for the advice... Unfortunately in my case the only extensions I have listed are:

- com_zimbra_backuprestore
    - com_zimbra_cert_manager
    - com_zimbra_cluster
    - com_zimbra_convertd
    - com_zimbra_domainadmin
    - com_zimbra_hsm
    - com_zimbra_license
    - com_zimbra_mobilesync

Another update - I can use Firefox with the Admin UI (as previously noted), and when I list the accounts from within, and select the 'View Mail' button, the new tab with that user's environment works just fine. I also see the quick blink of the intermediary Zimrbra splash screen.

I'm guessing that there must be something wrong with the code that is being generated for the login window with Firefox, but with no obvious errors on the firefox side (inc Firebug), and no obvious errors on the Zimbra Server side (probably since it never sees a request once the initial login page is provided to the browser) I'm a little stuck.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Have logged a support ticket on this now...

Default Has this issue been resolved?

If this is resolved, could you provide us with the solution?

Thanks!

Dan

Sorry for not replying sooner - I was away from work for six weeks and was unable to pursue the problem for that duration. The issue still exists for us at the moment. Currently the onus rests on me with support having asked a couple of questions which I've not yet investigated. However, leading up to that there were weeks of roundabout and repetitive questions which led nowhere, so I am not holding my breath.