Thread: Run Database Integrity Check or Skip during Upgrade?

Default Run Database Integrity Check or Skip during Upgrade?

I'm planning on upgrading our Zimbra 4.5.8 FOSS installation to 5.0.1 during this coming weekend. We have what I consider a pretty large mail store (~135 GB). As far as I know we have no major issues with our current installation. Based on what I've read in these forums I'm expecting a rather lengthy upgrade process (several hours). So, my question is when the "database integrity" prompt comes up during the upgrade process should I answer "Y" or "N"? I'm assuming that based on my mail store size the check could add significant time to the upgrade process. What is the risk in skipping the check? If there are existing problems with my database they are not presenting themselves in any noticeable ways now. Does skipping the check just mean that any problems would continue to exist, or does it increase the chances of the entire upgrade process failing, or is the database going to be "fixed" anyway due to the version change?

OK, I just read in detail the "Upgrade Instructions" section of the 5.0.1 Release Notes, which I guess I should have done prior to posting this question. The Release Notes answered some, but not all of my questions regarding the database integrity check.

The Release Notes say that this process checks the database, but it is not clear whether any action is taken if issues are found in the database. Will this process fix any found problems, or is it up to the administrator to cancel the upgrade process and manually repair the database prior to upgrading?

Also, is there anything that can be run outside the upgrade process to check and/or fix the database? For example, can this "zmdbintegrityreport" be run manually prior to even starting the upgrade?

With recent versions of ZCS, zmdbintegrityreport is already executed every night. Log on to the "admin" account on your system to read it. A blank report is good news.

I skipped database check for my upgrade.

Thanks. Exactly the info I was looking for.

I ran it for our upgrade, store of around 500+ Gb, took about 30 minutes...

Default Think twice before going to ZCS 5.0.1

In hindsite I would sit tight for one or two more interations of 5 before I moved off of 4.5x.. unless there is a strong compelling reason. There are some real deal breaking user facing bugs in 5.0.1 some over a month old that really annoy many of our users. Look over the bug list for 5.0.1 and make sure none of these are deal breakers for you.... then read over the bug list again just to make sure. I went from 4.5.9 to 5.0.1 rather smoothly with a database integrity check no problem doing it just to make sure.
    Mark Street, D.C., RHCE
    Chief Technology Officer
    Alliance Medical Center

I'd love to hear some of the one's that you're hung up on Mark, I know exactly what one John (soxfan) wants
    Looked at your prior posts, btw cal/doc print looks to be fixed for 5.0.2
    v5 added 300+ new enhancements & some I can't fathom living without!
    The jetty switch alone has enabled us to do so much more than ever before /blog/archives/2007/12/why_we_switched_to_jetty.html

Default No disrespect - Just a couple of pennies

I don't want to hijack this thread with my top 10 bugs. Let's just say when you walk on the edge sometimes you bleed a little.

I only have a 8G mail spool and the integrity check was fairly quick and painless.
    Mark Street, D.C., RHCE
    Chief Technology Officer
    Alliance Medical Center

Ya, saw http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...irtual-db.html
    Well thank you for being a relatively early adopter! (We get posts from people still on v3 all the time...)
    Being on the the cutting edge has it's 'moments' sometimes, but we aim to make it the sharpest product out there - no pun intended!