Thread: Best Practices?

Hybrid View

Default Best Practices?

Can anyone recommend a resource for some tips and best practices for setting up shared calendars and contacts amongst groups?

Particularly, I am trying to set up several users split into a few different pools. One let's say would be administrative and would have their own file repository, a shared calendar (or maybe all users can see each others appointments on a shared cal), and a shared contact list.

I also want to have a general user pool with their own contact list (truncated admin list), shared calendar (can this mix with some admin group stuff?) and their own file repository.

I can get calendars and files and contacts to distribute between individuals but I'm looking for a way to add a person to a group and have them able to access that groups stuff by virtue of group membership.

I think I'm either not setting up distribution lists properly or I'm going about it completely the wrong way.

Any help would be much appreciated. This is an awesome product. If I can get over these few humps we'll be rock'en n roll'en

Thanks

Brian

Brian

if you search for best practices theres a few threads that might perk your interest. to best answer your question, there is currently no way to create a user and have him automaticly inherit the share. well, they inherit the permission but it's not 'mounted' per say automaticly and available for browsing. you need to check out the zmmailbox and zmprov command line utilities.

i am in the process of working through this now and while i havn't started actually scripting my script logic will look something like this

1. a custom addzimbrauser script that takes a username and group as argument (we auth via ldap so no need for password)

2. the script will call zmprov to create teh user and add them to the group

3. the script will then call zmmailbox to mount the ocmpany wide calendar to their calendar, turned on by default

4. the script will call zmmailbox to get other users, which he/she will inherit read access on their calendars as part of the group (distribution list) and mount them underneath his calendar, turned off by default

this is a basic idea. I believe right now this is as close to 'best practice' as you can get. there is a rfe for a share discovery thing kind of like in imap where you can see all the folders you have access to and subscribe to ones you want. i dont have the link offhand but i'm sure a mod/employee will paste it they usually come through.

Thanks for the tips. I've made some headway based on that.

Brian

Another question, what are you writing your provisioning scripts in and how will you hook into them (I guess from what interface)?

We are a cPanel hosting company and we have a provisioning front end that I'd be interested in hooking up to provision on Zimbra. Would you have any advice on what to look into? I haven't looked for an API guide yet but if anyone has had any success doing something like this I'd love to hear about it.

we're not that big of a shop, so nothing fancy we'll probably just do a perl script or something. there is a SOAP framework for this you might want to look into htat