Thread: Problem with Aliases

Default Problem with Aliases

OK, self-inflicted wound here. I screwed something up with a few aliases and now I'm not sure how/if I can recover.

I just upgraded my Zimbra system today from version 4.5.8 to 5.0.1 (FOSS). Because of the problem with all aliases showing up when doing address auto-complete in the "To:", "CC:", and "BCC:" fields I decided to use both the internal LDAP database and an external LDAP database for the GAL. This isn't really something new for me, as I have used the external LDAP database with Zimbra in the past without any problems. However, with version 5.0.1 the address auto-complete really wasn't working right. It seemed like sometimes it would work, and other times I would get "Waiting for GAL" or no results at all. So, I thought I would temporarily remove all the aliases, and then just use the internal LDAP for the GAL. Not wanting to have to re-enter 400+ aliases once the issue with the aliases showing up gets solved, I was looking for some way to use 'zmprov' to basically export all my aliases, and then erase all the aliases using some type of script; also keeping in mind that I would want to import them all back in later.

Here's where my problem comes in. I looked at the 'zmprov' command, but I didn't look at it closely enough. Instead of looking at the 'removeAccountAlias' (raa) and 'addAccountAlias' (aaa) options, I was looking more at the 'modifyAccount' (ma) option. To test some things I was things I was thinking about putting in a script, on my own account I executed the command:
    zmprov ma myaccount@mydomain.com zimbraMailAlias " "
    The system let me execute this command, which now looking at a few more things, I think is a bug. This cleared the zimbraMailAlias attribute for my account, but left the aliases in the "mail" attribute of my account. Now when I look in the admin panel at my account no aliases show up, but when I look at the list of aliases they are still showing up there. In the admin page if I try to add the alias back in on my account I get an error message saying that the alias already exists. If I go to the list of aliases and try to delete one there I get a "Server error" box, and if I look at the details it says "no such alias". From the command line with zmprov I've tried the 'ma' option to reset the 'zimbraMailAlias' attribute, but I get an error message saying "zimbraMailAlias is immutable". (Why didn't I get this when I cleared the attribute?) I've also tried zmprov with the 'raa' option to try to delete an alias, but again here I get the "no such alias" error; and with the 'aaa' option I get the "already exists" error message.

I'm thinking there has to be a way to get to the actual LDAP directory to either clear the "mail" attribute or re-add the "zimbraMailAlias" information that I wiped out. However, before I get myself in any deeper I figured I would stop, post my problem, and hope one or more of the Zimbra experts could point me in the right direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just ran into a similar problem. If you move a user from one domain to another, the Aliases get orphaned and you can't remove them via zmprov (same immutable error).

Even after putting the user back in the original domain I couldn't access the aliases. I noticed that the zimbraMailAlias and mail attributes no longer referenced the Alias.

I connected to the LDAP server using uid=zimbra,cn=admins,cn=zimbra and the root ldap passwd and just modified the users account to add back in the two missing attributes. At this point I was able to go in via the admin gui and see the alias and remove it.

Note: monkeying around with LDAP directly can cause your entire zimbra stack to go up in flames. Make sure you backup your ldap data using the following command before playing directly.

/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmslapcat /tmp

John

Thanks for the reply John. After waiting a bit in hopes of getting an "official" fix, I went ahead and used 'ldapmodify' to add the 'zimbraMailAlias' objects back into the system. I was definitely wary of doing anything at this level, but I tested first on a non-production system and everything looked OK, so I took the plunge on the live system.

can u write me how you did this ? i have one without account i don't know how to get to ldpa to remove it