Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade from 4.5.6 to 5.0.1 (or 5.0.2) RHEL5

Default Upgrade from 4.5.6 to 5.0.1 (or 5.0.2) RHEL5

I am planning an upgrade from 4.5.6 to 5.0.1 (or 5.0.2) on RHEL5.
    In the 5.0.1 release notes under "Generally known issues" , it talks about bug 21801 (segmentation fault on RHEL5).

21801 isn't in the list of open issues in Patch: 5.0.2 .
    The bug is still listed in bugzilla.

However if it isn't listed in the open issues - what chance will it have of being fixed?

I am trying to determine the probability of it happening if I upgrade to 5.0.1 or if I should wait for another patch to solve it. Does anyone know how prevalent it is?

Please excuse me if I have misinterpreted the available information.

Cheers
    Michael Luxton

It isn't marked fixed because it has been impossible to reliably reproduce it. I also would not go from 4.5.6->5.0.x. I would go from 4.5.6->4.5.11, and then go from 4.5.11->5.0.2. Those should be out soon.

--Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Default 4.5.11 and 5.0.2 out soon?

What time frame for 5.0.2? I am looking at doing the migration from 4.5.10 to 5.0.1 this weekend, but I want things to go as smooth as possible.

Very soon - going through final internal testing
    Do either of you have any LDAP replicas?
    Mluxton, 4.5.6 > 4.5.10 > 5.0.1 is a fine route currently.
    Not 'technically' required, but it's best to get on the latest 4.5.x (whatever that is when your doing your upgrade) before the 5.0.x jump.
    Last edited by mmorse; 01-30-2008 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Very soon - going through final internal testing
    Do either of you have any LDAP replicas?
    mluxton, 4.5.6 > 4.5.10 > 5.0.1 is a fine route currently.
    Best to get on the latest 4.5.x (whatever that is when your doing your upgrade) before the 5.0.x jump.
    Hi,

I'm a newbie zimbra administrator who's in the same situation as those above. I have two servers running 4.5.6 on RHEL5, and they are doing LDAP replication. What process should I go through? Stop both, upgrade the primary LDAP machine to 4.5.10, upgrade secondary to 4.5.10, upgrade primary to 5.0.1, upgrade secondary to 5.0.1?

Any idea how long this process will take?

FWIW, the secondary machine does not have any active user accounts on it, and the primary's /opt/zimbra/db/data directory is about 2.2GB in size. (including the binlogs)

Default 4.5.10 upgrade

No, I don't have any replicas. I just have 1 machine. Though I am wanting to do an OS upgrade from RHEL4 x86_64 to RHEL5 x86_64 and then also from zimbra 4.5.10 to the 5.0.2.
    I am assuming that I would do a 'chkconfig zimbra off', do the os upgrade, then force the 4.5.10 rpm for rhel5 x86_64, turn zimbra back on, then make sure all is good, Then do the jump to 5.0.2?
    Is there a better path to take?

Dagar,
    See /blog/archives/2007/10/moving_zcs_to_another_server.html
    Use the SAME zimbra version during the actual platform switch.
    With your setup whatever you choose to do first -platform or ZCS switch- looks to be ok.

Mrich,
    Are you NE or FOSS?
    You will need this process: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/announc...5-x-5-0-x.html

All: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/announc...r-profile.html

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Network Edition, and I just updated my profile with my version (Release 4.5.6_GA_1044.RHEL5_20070706163724 RHEL5 NETWORK edition)

Reading thru this forum has me terrified of upgrading to 5.0.x. Obviously only those with problems with the upgrade are actually posting here and maybe 99% of upgrades go smoothly, but from what I've heard from my boss I think it's likely I'll run into problems, and I'm certainly not an experienced zimbra administrator, nor do I have a lot of linux sysadmin experience (although I know my way around.)

The only reason I'm doing the upgrade is that after a restart of one of the machines the antivirus daemon wouldn't start, so rather than upgrading just clamav I'm upgrading zimbra itself. I'll probably just go to 4.5.10 and hold off on the 5.0.1 upgrade.

Here are some questions I have before I attempt this upgrade:

Does that segfault on RHEL5 issue only occur with the 5.0.1 upgrade, or has it happened on the 4.5.10 upgrade as well?

Are there any LDAP issues if I'm just going from 4.5.6 to 4.5.10?

Are there major schema changes that would make the 4.5.6 -> 4.5.10 upgrade take hours?

Would I be able to get phone support on the weekend if it does somehow go horribly, horribly wrong?

Thanks,
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by mrich View Post
    The only reason I'm doing the upgrade is that after a restart of one of the machines the antivirus daemon wouldn't start, so rather than upgrading just clamav I'm upgrading zimbra itself. I'll probably just go to 4.5.10 and hold off on the 5.0.1 upgrade.
    Yes there's a bad clamav in 4.5.6, several temporary solutions are listed here: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...such-file.html
    Does that segfault on RHEL5 issue only occur with the 5.0.1 upgrade, or has it happened on the 4.5.10 upgrade as well?
    Bug 21801 - random segmentation fault while upgrading
    Are there any LDAP issues if I'm just going from 4.5.6 to 4.5.10?
    No (There's a huge jump in tomcat & LDAP enhancements that will help though!)
    Are there major schema changes that would make the 4.5.6 -> 4.5.10 upgrade take hours?
    # of users and your HW setup?
    Would I be able to get phone support on the weekend if it does somehow go horribly, horribly wrong?
    Use the support portal to open a U1 or U2 if needed & someone will help you out!

Don't forget backups!

Dagar, if you're FOSS & have a relatively low number of users/store size, manually walk through the rsync processes listed in A_Simple_Shell_Script_Method - Open Source Edition Backup Procedure - Zimbra :: Wiki (other FOSS methods are listed on that page as well).

NE's should use zmbackup to take a full. Don't just use the admin console to create one - I don't remember what version it got fixed in, but the admin console invoke used to excludes a few things that might be handy to have later

Disk images/ghosts/LVM snapshots/rsync's are also good methods of course - just be sure to have a backup, you'll thank yourself for doing it someday