Thread: Moving to new server - Advice needed

Hybrid View

Question Moving to new server - Advice needed

Hi all,

Before the holidays, I tried to move Zimbra to a new server. It did not work, so I am going to try again. I'm hoping someone can point to some of this so that things don't go wrong again. This move is scheduled for this saturday. Here goes.

The setup:

Old server = OSS 4.5.5 running on FC4. I am going to use the same OS on the new server & same version of zimbra. I figure keeping both things the same cuts down on troubleshooting. Of course I am planning on upgrading both the OS & ZCS in the near future.

Differences

1: I do not have a drive for backup/restore. I do, however have another server (Fedora 7) that has an NFS drive for this purpose. I don't believe NFS has anything to do with my issues, but I am throwing this out there.

2: My current server is working - it can send and get mail. However, I have turned off both AV & Spam (I have a Barracuda that scrubs email before it even gets to the Zimbra box).

3: If I go into the Zimbra Admin page, to "Monitoring" then "Server Statistics" I notice that at the end of October it stops updating the statistics. I can't remember what happened in October - possibly the ClamAv had a bad update or something.

4: If I go into "Server Status" - Spell is off (red X) - snmp, MTA, Mailbox, Logger and LDAP are all on (green check). Spelling has never worked - from day one.

What I did:

I am using the directions from jholder's blog

When I did this before - I ran into an error:
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...rror-help.html

The errors were:

Fetching CA from ldap...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException bradmail.bradnet.local:389)
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException bradmail.bradnet.local:389)

AND

Setting up syslog.conf...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException bradmail.bradnet.local:389)
    Done

Thanks for any and all help on this move.

Rob

Are you moving to x64, or a different arch?

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

No - everything is going to be the same. Same OS (even installed from the same CDs) - Same version of ZCS (I still have the uncompressed files from when I did the original install).

Rob

As an FYI - the plan is to move to the new hardware, make sure everything is up and running - then schedule a ZCS upgrade in a few weeks.

Rob

Well, ldap isn't starting. Can you run an ldap start to see why it isn't starting?

I can't right now - the server will be running until saturday when I do the move. I am assuming you think there is an LDAP issue from the error messages in Bold from my first post of this thread?

When I was researching this - I remember that I came across a possible password issue... That there is a password associated with LDAP and that for whatever reason, the passwords didn't match when I did the move. The server only has one account - root - so I am assuming this password was created on ZCS install - but what it is, I have no idea (and no clue on how to get it).

Thanks again,
    Rob