Thread: Virtual User Mapping

Default Virtual User Mapping

A little background...we're trying to act as a remote mail server from our corporate server which is running postfix. The corporate office will route/copy mail to our server, but I want local mail (mail between local zimbra accounts) to route without going to the corp mail server. Currently, I have a separate mail domain than the corp office.

We thought that we could do this via virtual user mapping. In postfix, we'd do this:

postmap user@OtherDomain LocalUser

We've tried to use the zmprov with the ma and aaa options without success. Is this possible in zimbra and if so, how?

Thanks!

Hanson

Default mapping

Quote Originally Posted by d9hans
    A little background...we're trying to act as a remote mail server from our corporate server which is running postfix. The corporate office will route/copy mail to our server, but I want local mail (mail between local zimbra accounts) to route without going to the corp mail server. Currently, I have a separate mail domain than the corp office.

We thought that we could do this via virtual user mapping. In postfix, we'd do this:

postmap user@OtherDomain LocalUser

We've tried to use the zmprov with the ma and aaa options without success. Is this possible in zimbra and if so, how?

Thanks!

Hanson
    I'm not fully clear on what you're trying to do.

You've got two domains:
    corporate.com for the main (corp) mail domain, and zimbra.corporate.com for the zimbra users.

From outside, mail to user@corporate.com gets rerouted to zimbra, for user@zimbra.corporate.com?

And on the zimbra box, user1@zimbra.corporate.com sends mail to user2@zimbra.corporate.com, and that is fine (stays on the box).

Is the missing piece that mail from user1@zimbra.corporate.com to user2@corporate.com is going through the corporate box?

You might be able to stop that with
    zmprov cd corporate.com zimbraDomainType alias zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @corporate.com zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress @zimbra.corporate.com

One drawback to this is that you'll never be able to send mail from zimbra to the legacy system.

Default Yes...

Thanks for the tip. Our situation is exactly as you outlined. That being said, your solution is a deal breaker for us as we would no longer be able to send mail to our legacy/corporate system.

What we had hoped to achieve was a per user mapping instead of a catchall for the domain. I know your documentation warns against making changes in the postfix mappings on the zimbra server, but should we consider that as an alternative solution?

Hanson

Default per user mapping

I believe you can still do a per user mapping.

Create your zimbra users.

Then, for each user:
    zmprov ma user@zimbra.corporate.com zimbraMailCatchAllAddress user@corporate.com zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress user@zimbra.corporate.com

I'm going to double check that with a colleague, but I believe that it will do the right thing.

I don't think that the zimbraMailCatchAllAddress property likes a user name. From the error, it expects a '@domain.com' and not 'user@domain.com'.

Here's the error when I tried the command:

ERROR: account.INVALID_ATTR_VALUE (zimbramailcatchalladdress must match the regex: ^@[A-Za-z0-9-\.]+$)
    Last edited by d9hans; 01-27-2006 at 01:00 PM.

Default bad info

I've been informed by my colleagues that I shouldn't try to give advice on fridays - apparently I'm not very good at it. My previous post was in error.

Hmm..this is the only stumbling block for us. Has anyone tried using postfix's postmap command to accomplish what I'm trying to do? I've tried and it doesn't work. I'm not surprised since this is not recommended by the product anyway. Thought it was worth a try.

Anyone?

Hanson

Default splitting a domain

in the next release, splitting a domain like you wish to do should be possible. If you can test it when the bits ship, that would be great.

Here is the documentation:

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com:8080/view...lit-domain.txt

Sounds good. We'll be happy to check it out. However, I can't open the link you provided. Is that an internal URL? Doesn't seem that port 8080 is listening althoug I can ping the bugzilla server.

I gather the bug/FR has info on when this function will be in the code. Since I don't have access to your bugzilla, can you give me a rough time frame if there is one? Thanks!

Yeah I forgot to have the firewall opened for external access. It will be open soon.

Our bugzilla is open. All public bugs are available to be viewed.

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.