Thread: maildrop/procmail mail from multiple accounts to folders?

Default maildrop/procmail mail from multiple accounts to folders?

I have several accounts that I snag to my local system with fetchmail+ssl. As I d/l them, I run them through maildrop and drop them directly in to specific folders (after filtering out spam, virus, junk I dont want, etc). I started playing with Zimbra, but did not see any way to do anything similar to this with Zimbra.

I searched the forums and saw someone asking for something similar as well, but did not see any responses to it.

So, is this possible? This is sorta a deal breaker for me if it isn't so I'm hoping it is doable.

Robert

You can process mail like you do today but can't deliver to zimbra in different folders. So assuming you can put your foldering logic in to Zimbra filters then you'd be all set. In general we don't expect lots of larger enterprises to process mail this way so it may not become a native feature but I think it's reasonable for us to provide ways via LMTP to have zimbra deliver to different folders.

You can also do this via the SOAP api today but that would involve some code.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Fooh! Unfortunately, the mail filters in Zimbra seem to be pretty limited, at least compared to what can be done with maildrop. If there was a MDA available that would allow you to store the messages in to a specified folder, it would be pretty easy to have maildrop use it to save the messages where I need them to go.

Can you point me in the direction for what needs to be done to write something like this? If there is an API already, good chance I can manage this.

Another option would be if Zimbra supported Sieve, which I would think more enterprise users might be interested in.

Many thanks!

Robert

You can use SOAP to deliver into seperate folders.

We do support Sieve, we just don't expose the full ability via the UI. You can use a ldap browser or zmprov to inspect the ldap attr that holds your filters.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Yeah, after I posted that I found that sieve was semi supported. I guess the part I am missing the most is the ability to dynamically create folders on the fly. I tend to Archive all my email and save it by year-month in an Archive folder.

If I can figure out how to test for the existence of, create and deliver to folders using the SOAP API, I should be set. However, I have never worked with this before so.. heh.

Any pointers?

Robert

P.S. In my testing, I was using the latest version for SuSE10. Two things I noticed:
    - No right click context menu while using firefox-1.5.0.1
    - When I attempted to create new folders from the client, it just named them as zmFolder instead of the name I specified. With no right click context menu, I could not name them either (or delete other than drag to trash).

Check out ZimbraServer/docs/soap.txt in CVS.

I tend to Archive all my email and save it by year-month in an Archive folder.
    With Zimbra we do this for you automatically. It's so simple to create search folders by date you should never need to file mail again. The software is optimized for vary large folders so keeping mail in a single folder and using search or save searches/search folders is the most productive way to use Zimbra IMHO.