Thread: Relay problem

Hybrid View

Default Relay problem

Hi,

I have Zimbra 5.01GA FOSS on Ubuntu 6.06LTS. When I try sending mail from my PDA using the SMTP server (zimbra) I get the following error message:

Feb 8 22:06:24 mail postfix/smtpd[20801]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from apn-89-223-245-75.vodafone.hu[89.223.245.75]: 554 5.7.1 <taqr22@ise.u-szeged.hu>: Relay access denied; from=<mko@clover.com> to=<taqr22@ise.u-szeged.hu> proto=ESMTP helo=<Inbox>

How can I enable zimbra to accept the SMTP connection? I think if I were to enable SSL it might work. The PDA is a WindowsMobile6.

Can anyone help me?

Miklos

The domain that you tried to send an email to "ise.u-szeged.hu" is a non-existent domain. Occasionally what happens when your mail server comes to this situation is it will try to send the email to your DNS server. apn-89-223-245-75.vodafone.hu[89.223.245.75] appears to be your ISP's DNS server...which generally denies SMTP connections

However once you get a valid email to send to you might still run into the issue of the MTA trusted networks. If you want to send emails using your Zimbra server as the SMTP server you will need to either add your phones' IP address to the MTA trusted networks or you will need to set up login for the SMTP server. The first is accessable through the Admin interface in Servers->(server name)->MTA tab->MTA Trusted Networks.

The ise.u-szeged is actually inf.u-szeged so it is a valid domain, the names have been changed before posting.

As for the second part: can I setup maybe SSL authentication for the SMTP connection? Since the PDA allows that. I remember back in case of the old server I had to force 'require authorization' for the SMTP and allow 'relaying when authenticated'. How would this happen in case of Zimbra?

How do I setup SMTP login? I think setting to allow any destination if the user authenticates via SSL would solve my problem, since the log is from the zimbra server and not the ISP. So the request reaches my server it just rejects it, so the mobile carrier does not restrict port 25.

General Settings->MTA->Enable Authentication.

I seem to remember some issues I was having where even though clients had to authenticate they still had to be in the MTA trusted networks to actually send messages through it. I will try to do some more testing later though to verify that.

I have MTA enable auth setup. There is a weird behavior. If I send mail to someone on the domain of the zimbra server it allows the PDA to send it, if the email address is outside the domain it says relay not permitted. Its using the same username/password and the same zimbra server, the only difference is that in the first case the recipient is on the same domain.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?