Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Zimbra need it's own server?

Quote Originally Posted by pcoleman View Post
    You say you use an external LDAP to authenticate to. So do you still run Zimbra's LDAP?
    Yes he does. Zimbra uses it's own customized instances of a serious collection of software packages - OpenLDAP, MySQL, Apache, Tomcat (4.5 prior) Jetty(5.0), Postfix, Lucene, Verity, ClamAV, SpamAssassin, DSPAM (though off by default) AMaViS/Amavisd-new, Aspell, James/Sieve, Perdition (4.5 prior), NGINX(5.0), etc.

Thanks, just wanted to be clear on that. So I'd be better off not to run it on the same server as LDAP even if I used different ports?

Another question: We are moving Zimbra to a new server off site (connected with site-to-site VPN). The user mail boxes etc are on a Raid in our offices. When I installed a new instance of Zimbra can I attach it to the Raid in our office? Or do I have to somehow migrate all the user info over?

Thanks.
    Pat.

Like I said, the external LDAP is for authentication only. Zimbra still requires its own LDAP server for storing lots of additional information. (I've never looked at its schemas to see just how much info is in there)

I had trouble running BIND on the first Zimbra server I setup. So I decided right then I would be better off dedicating a server to Zimbra. I did so and have never looked back and am very pleased.

Default Does Zimbra need it's own server?

Thanks for all the info.

Pat

I've been doing a lot of testing with Zimbra and Open Directory lately. If you install Zimbra on the same server as your OD Master then configure Zimbra to use the port 390 for its own LDAP server.

Also when configuring external LDAP authentication for your domain use this filter:

(&(objectClass=inetOrgPerson)(objectClass=posixAcc ount)(uid=%u))

When configuring external GAL use this filter:

(&(|(cn=*%s*)(sn=*%s*)))

and this autocomplete

(|(uid=%s*)(givenname=%s*)(mail=%s*))

We using SSL self-assigned certs in our LDAP test environments and they're working great. Once the GAL has been setup and all the user info has been entered under the "info" tab in workgroup manager go into the admin console and check the autocomplete function for GAL. Then you'll be totally integrated to the OD LDAP server.

Once you do this enter the Zimbra LDAP server into the client's address book.app and enter the caldev accounts into iCal, your iCal free/busy's will start working as well.

Cheers.
    Jordan

Thanks for all the great info. I'll be sure to use it.

Pat.