Thread: SSL Cert Questions

Default SSL Cert Questions

Hi All-

We are currently using Network Edition 5.0.2 with a self signed SSL cert. Additionally, the self signed cert is for the actual host name of the server (i.e. blah.mydomain.com), but we access the server in nearly every way using an alias (i.e. mail.mydomain.com).

My questions are as follows:

1) Are there any remaining gotchas when installing/moving to commercial certs? I know there were when ZCS 5.0 was first launched.

2) Does it matter whether I install the cert from the GUI or from the command line?

3) When I purchase the cert from GoDaddy, I want it to be for the "mail.mydomain.com" alias as opposed to the "blah.mydomain.com" actual host name. Is there anything that would cause problems with doing this, or anything that I need to set in ZCS to make it work?

4) Can I use the same intermediate cert purchased from GoDaddy for SSL for IMAP, SSL for POP, and HTTPS? Is there anything I need to be on the look out for?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

-Justin

Default Me too

I too was interested in purchasing a GoDaddy cert so that users don't have to constantly click Yes on that message about the self-signed cert. Going live with the mail server within the next couple of days. I wasn't sure if GoDaddy's certs would work since they're SO much cheaper than everybody else. Frankly I could care less about 3rd-party certs if I could trick Outlook into not bringing up that message, but I guess that's the whole point of having 3rd-party certs to begin with.

I Just wanted to bump this back up there since I never received any responses.

Thanks in advance.

-Justin

Default Thanks for doing that

I've destroyed my self-signed cert twice trying to properly install the GoDaddy cert we purchased and now I'm scared to death of trying a third time.

Somebody really needs to come out with more detailed instructions that specify EXACTLY which files to use WITH THE GUI. It's obviously still too vague based on others' posts.