Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single domain spanning both editions

Default Single domain spanning both editions

Can a single domain be installed onto 2 servers, one of them running Zimbra Open Source edition another one running Zimbra Network Edition? Will this kind of install impose any limitations, e.g. shared calendar and GAL across servers?

I have 2 groups of users, under the same domain, some of them need the features of the Network Edition, the rest can just use the Open Source Edition. What is the best way to achieve this? Thanks.

Currently the only way to do this is to have two seperate installs(due to some shared config data in LDAP that will conflict). We are looking at ways to make this possible.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

With 2 separate installs, will it impair any functionalities? If I want to do a test install, where can I find the info? Thanks.

If you have seperate installs the calendar data is not shared. So you can't see free/busy between the two. You can invite each other to meetings etc and you may still need to do some tricks since if users are in the same domain you'll need ot make one install the primary so mail can be routed.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Is this the recommended solution for people who want to have some users with Network features and leave some with OSS features? Would there be problems with this?

We'd be OK with running two separate servers if we need to in order to provide mail services to customers that want to split their domains into basic and full-featured accounts, if that's the way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by zaf
    Is this the recommended solution for people who want to have some users with Network features and leave some with OSS features? Would there be problems with this?

We'd be OK with running two separate servers if we need to in order to provide mail services to customers that want to split their domains into basic and full-featured accounts, if that's the way to do it.
    At this time the only way to do this is two run two servers. One for Network and one for OSS. Then use split domain and make one the *smart* host for routing.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    At this time the only way to do this is two run two servers. One for Network and one for OSS. Then use split domain and make one the *smart* host for routing.
    I was wondering (and yes I searched and could not find it) that if I do the above and pay for the service, will I get the support/help to set that up.

For example. I run 1000s of users on my mail system - at least half of these are for free communities, open source groups, clubs and religious organisations. So obviously they must remain free. But I also have between 10 and 100 users (which may grow over time) which would really really benefit from the syncing (and other features) provided by the Network Edition.

So as you can imagine, a solution which allows me to run two servers, one with the restricted set of paid users, the other with the free users would be very appealing and allow me to make a purchase. I imagine this is a common request because we often find organisations willing to pay for mail accounts for staff, but not for their community members, or operation accounts (like those linked to a job tracking system like RT).

Thanks

Scott

Yes we support it. They will act for the most part as two separate systems.

Would it not be possible to flag certain user records as being Network Edition licensed and others as Community licensed, running both off the Network platform (suitably crippled for the community licensed users)?

From my (fairly recently acquired and skant) understanding the only problem would be excluding certain areas of the search / index system, and putting limits on the live backup / restore areas of the admin interface.

Technically it's a bit more work than that and for the time being we've not had any customers who want to split a domain that way. If you have a use case in mind we'd be interested in hearing it. If not here then you can PM or email us directly to discuss more.