Thread: Lotus Notes Style databases/records/replication

Default Lotus Notes Style databases/records/replication

Hi All,

I'm after some info about Zimbra capabilities. I'll describe what I want to do, and if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated.

What I want is similar to what Lotus Notes/Domino does, but I don't like Lotus Notes.

What I want to do is:
    • Batch create records on the server (Appointments)
    • Our roaming technicians can pick up the records via synchronization
    • At each appointment, the technician can update the details about the appointment, either Offline or Online.
    • Rules can be applied to ensure good data entry by the technicians
    • These records can then be synchronized back to the server. If there are clashes (where the data has changed at both ends), there is some process to sort this out (With manual intervention presumably)

The format of these records are not plain documents, they should be forms, with fields to enter data in, that can later be exported in CSV, for example.

If Zimbra is not suitable for my needs, can anyone more knowledgeable in this area point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Brock

In my own experience Notes has been the hands-down winner for document sharing & processing.

I've used it for such things as knowledgebases, request forms requiring multiple sign-offs/approvals, workflow management, etc.

That being said, I only know enough about Zimbra to be dangerous in comparison to the veterans that hang out in the forums. Perhaps they know of an efficient way for you to use Zimbra for your purposes.

However, my gut tells me you should stick with Notes though