Thread: Amavisd Issue

Default Amavisd Issue

I'm running zcs-4.5.10_GA_1575.UBUNTU6 in a VM, with host and guest OS Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. The idea was to check out ZCS in a controlled environment. However, after several months of successful usage, now I can't get anything through.
    zmcontrol stop shuts down everything except antispam. It seems unable to stop antispam.
    zmcontrol start shows everything running.
    top shows amavisd bouncing between 80 and 99%
    All I've done to modify the original setup was to add rbl's to zimbraMtaRestriction per the Zimbra Wiki, and that was several weeks ago. Things stopped working a few days ago. Can anyone tell me where to begin?

Default more head scratching

After reading from the net all day, I just tried running zmfixperms and got a strange result.
    find: /opt/zimbra/lib/ext-common: No such file or directory

I assume I should be concerned.
    Does anyone think an upgrade to 5.02 will get things going again?

Thumbs up

So, with no replies I conclude I've asked something that no one's run into before, or that I described the problem poorly. Since the problem began, I've learned the following: how to mount an external usb drive and make an rsync backup and how to upgrade to the latest ZCS version.

I appreciate this forum for what I've learned already and will learn in future, and I really appreciate ZCS.

Zimbra is a great tool for demonstrating the value and validity of Linux and the OSS world to those who only know MS Windows. Thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by tenmei View Post
    So, with no replies I conclude I've asked something that no one's run into before, or that I described the problem poorly.
    Or that you asked on Friday and nobody noticed till this morning. . .

I can't tell for sure what happened, but I'm wondering if somehow you had an orphaned instance of amavisd running, that wasn't getting killed by your zmcontrol stop & start. It would have been interesting to do a top command after you ran zmcontrol stop and see what was still happening. The Linux way would be to stop any excess crap and THEN restart Zimbra, the Windoze way (or the way lazy guys like me would do it) would be just to reboot the server and see if the problem goes away.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks dwmtractor! I was afraid I'd asked something so phenomenally dumb that people were embarassed to reply!

Zmcontrol stop was not successful at stopping the amavisd process. Even after zmcontrol attempted to kill the process, top reported amavisd still running, pegging cpu usage at or near 99% .

Regarding the ZCS 4.5.10 VM, I think the hard drive is flaking on me. I've backed up /opt/zimbra and I plan to make a new build tonight on a new drive. Then I'll restore from my backup. However, since the backup may be flaky, I thought maybe I could then run the installer again to fix anything that fell out.
    Would the reinstall act as an upgrade and leave users and mail in place?
    All this with 4.5.10 version, and if it's working, finally upgrade to 5.02.

The VM will no longer run, or it's hit and miss so diagnosis might not be worth the trouble.

Rather than damage the existing VM any further I set Zimbra up on a new machine, installed 4.5.10, restored from the backup but no joy / no users / no mail. So I went ahead for the experience and upgraded to 5.02.

Rather than damage the existing VM any further I set Zimbra up on a new machine, installed 4.5.10, restored from the backup but no joy / no users / no mail. So I went ahead for the experience and upgraded to 5.02.
    Your last line makes it confusing...

Do you have:
    Instance A) Fresh 5.0.2 that your using.
    Instance B) Ready to restore backup of 4.5.10 to (though unsure of backup validity) and copy data imapsync/rest/curl to live 5.0.2 system (or from live 5.0.2 system to this).
    Instance C) Dead

Or do you have:

Instance A) Tried 4.5.10 that wasn't fully restored/working > threw on 5.0.2 (to no result).
    Instance B) Ready to restore backup of 4.5.10 to (though unsure of backup validity).
    Instance C) Dead

You can use tidbits of info out of this method: /blog/archives/2007/10/moving_zcs_to_another_server.html
    Like install.sh -s then copy in your /opt/zimbra (see step 3)
    Don't forget to match uid/gid's.
    BTW zmfixperms doesn't include a few things so you can:
    su - root
    chown -R zimbra:zimbra /opt/zimbra/*
    cd /opt/zimbra/libexec/
    ./zmfixperms
    What method did you use to make a backup? (rsync/copy/etc)

Thanks dwmtractor! I was afraid I'd asked something so phenomenally dumb that people were embarassed to reply!
    Don't worry about that--we get (and in my case, sometimes ask) some pretty basic, simple questions here and they are still treated with respect!

Welcome to Zimbra and the forums!

Dan

Thanks for asking, mmorse! I'll try to clarify.
    I have the original Ubuntu machine running VMWare, inside of which is a ZCS 4.5.10 setup. Also apparently has a bad hard drive. I rsync'ed /opt/zimbra to an ext3 formatted usb drive.

I set up a second Ubuntu machine, without VMWare, from which to test and learn more about backup / restore and the ZCS 5.02 upgrade. I installed ZCS 4.5.10 successfully, rsync'ed to it from the backup. ZCS runs fine, but just like an initial install, with no users or domains other than the home or admin domain it's set up for. At that point, I decided to check out the upgrade and that worked fine. I'm using it now as a stopgap for a few accounts that need to receive their mail.

I'm sorry my confusion propagated to the forum, and I really appreciate how patient you guys must be. I'll be trying again tonight on a third machine, to build ZCS 4.5.10 and restore from the rsync backup. I'll know more then I guess.

Thanks dwmtractor! This experience, and everyone's help, is bound to make me more Linux literate and functional. I'm really looking forward to going 'Linux only' in the near future.