Thread: IMAP dies frequently

Default IMAP dies frequently

So, IMAP seems to be going down every day or so for me. The webui and postfix continue to function.

Seems like an exception gets thrown by the imap service, kills off the thread. Once all the threads in the pool die, IMAP no longer works. I will get a thread dump next time it happens.

Code:
    com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailServiceException: No such blob: mailbox=6, item=119543, change=115964
    Code:mail.NO_SUCH_BLOB
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailServiceException.NO_SUCH_BLOB(MailServiceException.java:250)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailItem.getBlob(MailItem.java:814)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MessageCache.fetchFromStore(MessageCache.java:267)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MessageCache.getMimeMessage(MessageCache.java:214)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Message.getMimeMessage(Message.java:290)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapMessage.getMimeMessage(ImapMessage.java:176)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.fetch(ImapHandler.java:2930)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.doFETCH(ImapHandler.java:2781)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.executeRequest(ImapHandler.java:402)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.TcpImapHandler.processCommand(TcpImapHandler.java:151)
            at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.processConnection(ProtocolHandler.java:160)
            at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.run(ProtocolHandler.java:128)
            at EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.PooledExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
    A couple months ago we had a few hard crashes that resulted in data loss (not using a journaled fs at the time). There are some messages that are indexed but do not exist. Any ideas how i can find and remove these references?

This server is running 5.0.2 on Ubuntu 6.06.2
    Last edited by solarsail; 03-18-2008 at 12:40 AM. Reason: installation information

Been here since 2005. There are very few errors that will make me shutter in pain. That's one of them

Hopefully this will help. It can be a painful process, so we wish you the best

Account mailbox database structure - Zimbra :: Wiki

okay, from the logs it looks like i have 25 of these messages to get rid of, but since the error messages include the item #, it souldn't be too hard to fix...

I am still wondering, is this at the root of my IMAP problems, or just a red herring. IMAP went down again this morning and i got a thread dump, in it i see only one IMAP thread alive.

Code:
    "ImapSSLServer-25" prio=10 tid=0x080cf400 nid=0x4a11 runnable [0x853fe000..0x853fee30]
       java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
    	at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
    	at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:129)
    	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.readFully(InputRecord.java:293)
    	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.read(InputRecord.java:331)
    	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:789)
    	- locked <0x969ebce0> (a java.lang.Object)
    	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readDataRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:746)
    	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppInputStream.read(AppInputStream.java:75)
    	- locked <0x969ebd70> (a com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppInputStream)
    	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)
    	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:237)
    	- locked <0x969edd98> (a com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.TcpServerInputStream)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.TcpServerInputStream.readLine(TcpServerInputStream.java:73)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.imap.TcpImapRequest.continuation(TcpImapRequest.java:54)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.imap.TcpImapHandler.processCommand(TcpImapHandler.java:109)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.processConnection(ProtocolHandler.java:160)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.run(ProtocolHandler.java:128)
    	at EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.PooledExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
    	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

So, i managed to delete the rows from the database that referred to the non-existant blobs a few days ago. Since I did this, the IMAP service has not stopped once. It seems that the two problems are related.

Seems to me this is a bug. The IMAP server should be robust enough not to die if it cannot retrieve a message.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by solarsail View Post
    Seems to me this is a bug. The IMAP server should be robust enough not to die if it cannot retrieve a message.
    Search for any related problems in bugzilla, if you don't find anything then file a bug report.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.