Thread: Archive question

Default Archive question

I'm moving a client over to Zimbra from Webmail/Pop they have an archiving solution via third party. This thrid party gives them a really nice gui that they can search emails for compliance issues. The third party told me this can be done easy with MS Exchange via "journeling". Is there a way to do this with Zimbra?

Thanks

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I'm moving a client over to Zimbra from Webmail/Pop they have an archiving solution via third party. This thrid party gives them a really nice gui that they can search emails for compliance issues. The third party told me this can be done easy with MS Exchange via "journeling". Is there a way to do this with Zimbra?
    That would be the Archiving & Discovery feature which is available in Network Edition only.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I have Zimbra Network Edition. But I dont want to use the Archiving feature within Zimbra. I want to use A third party archive soulution. An this third party told me that I could use journeling to get the data to them. Is this possible with zimbra is my question? - Thanks

Hmmm, IMHO I think it would depend on whether Postfix is used to handle local email for delivery, or whether ZCS manages this directly. One for a Zimbra person me thinks.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I have Zimbra Network Edition. But I dont want to use the Archiving feature within Zimbra. I want to use A third party archive soulution. An this third party told me that I could use journeling to get the data to them. Is this possible with zimbra is my question? - Thanks
    As I don't know which third-party supplier you're using nor which solution he's proposing it's difficult for me to comment of whether it would work. I don't believe there's any 'hooks' within Zimbra for third party integration of this sort, I'd suggest contacting support to get a definitive answer to that.

Using the Zimbra Archiving feature would give your client a consistent interface to his mail and archives for searching..
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Bill,

this is what is me from http://www.zimbra.com/products/zimbra_archiving.html

Highlights:

* Use ZCS messaging with ZCS Archive Server as an integrated solution or add your existing 3rd party archive server via SMTP message forwarding to ZCS

Disclaimer: Not saying other solutions don't have this, but I wasn't presented with another third-party product name anywhere in this thread.

ZAD can be configured to expand the envelope info then fork the messages to another non-zimbra server via SMTP.

In doing so though you loosing Zimbra's lucene indexing integration (searching inside attachments), you're now running two storage solutions (no more single-instance storage or HSM), as well as other features like setting up quick access for an external parties (police/lawyer/etc) to just see the search they want while still in you're control, and 'cross mailbox search' etc.

Not only can you show them mail for just one user, but say they need to see all the emails with the word 'foo' in it in the entire organization > run the search & direct the output to a target account > email them a temp login to see just that mail > they check it out (using Zimbra's excellent web UI to further narrow any searches - it's like a regular mailbox account) > find what they want > done.

Based on the reference to Exchange, 'journaling' in this context isn't the filesystem, it's simply Microsoft's term for Archiving & Discovery:
    Exchange provides a native Journaling feature which allows you to archive all incoming and outgoing e-mails for a specific mailbox store. Journaling sends a copy of a message to the journaling mailbox every time a user in a journal-enabled mailbox database sends or receives a message.
    Often a different term, same thing.

Mikec if you're really against ZAD - it seems you might have tried it out based on other forum threads (though I do hope you've negotiated with sales for a customized quote if you're thinking the price is too high); search the forums for always_bcc or sender_bcc_maps & recipient_bcc_maps.

Default Sorry For the Confusion Here.

Ok here is the scenario - we are currently using smarsh (Smarsh (Smarsh InSite) - powered by Smarsh) for our email archiving. Our email flows to them via an mx record and then we are stuck using their web client and their pop "featureless" email system. We also own 3 other companies that do not need the compliance archiving so they are running on a Zimbra Network Edition Server which everyone loves because of all of the great features and webmail. Well we want all of the companies to enjoy the Zimbra mail system but the archiving solution that smarsh offers is top notch as this is their specialty...not email. Their archive search utility is far superior to Zimbra's as it should because this is their business. You can run so many different query's the feature are endless... you can also mark the emails you want from your archive and create a "burn job" which is downloaded in an .eml file you can just load these in outlook express and your set. Also with smarsh the Compliance officer does not get full admin login to the server. With Zimbra I have to give this person full access or else I will have to run every query for this person. Basically their UI is set up for a non technical person to run a search. And Im sure with Zimbra you can get same results its just not as UI friendly. So smarsh says they can handle archiving via Exchange Journaling and I was wandering if Zimbra has something similar.

Thanks Again.

Zimbra uses an entierly different system to store emails and keep a log of what is recieved. The part of zimbra that is similar to Exchange's Journaling is the redolog.
    It looks like tough if you want to continue using Smarsh and want to integrate it into your Zimbra setup you will want to go with their relay server option. This is outlined on Smarsh Financial Technologies

Maybe I should post a new topic, but this one matches pretty closely...

I've got a similar question/problem. We use Lightspeed's TTC to "journal" all messages sent/received. They have an agent that sits on our Exchange server. Here's what they support:

ARCHIVE
    Inbound and/or outbound SMTP traffic
    Inbound and/or outbound AOL Instant Messaging (AIM) and MSN Messenger
    Email message file with indexing parameters for: From, To, Subject, Date, Keywords, and Body Text
    Attachments: Document, program, and multimedia files
    To conserve storage space, message attachments with multiple senders or receivers are stored only once
    Internal email processed by:
    Microsoft Exchange Server 2003,
    GroupWise 7.01+, and
    POP3 servers

I've tried ZAD, and I like some of the features, but doing a simple search is a pain. I'm just looking at my options here. Lightspeed doesn't have a Zimbra Journaling Agent like they do for Exchange, but they can "journal" POP accounts and SMTP traffic. To use this setup, would the "always_bcc" that I've seen mentioned be my best bet?

Thanks!